Woodcut gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
Has anyone had any dealings with Woodcut replacable tip gouges? I have just found their site and the kit looks very interesting.

I tried a search on it and came up with loads of hits but couldn't find any reference to the stuff?

I'm interested in the 13mm spindle gouge. I believe that Henry Taylor does something similar?

One of the pros at our club uses them and reckons that they are good. Phil Irons who deals their stuff is a nice guy to deal with and will answer any questions you have.

Pete

Jonzjob":1xu81zg9 said:
Has anyone had any dealings with Woodcut replacable tip gouges? I have just found their site and the kit looks very interesting.

I tried a search on it and came up with loads of hits but couldn't find any reference to the stuff?

I'm interested in the 13mm spindle gouge. I believe that Henry Taylor does something similar?

Hi , I have not tried them , but I like my tool :oops: in one part

Nothing to come flying off if it comes loose , and not much tip length so how many times can it be re edged ?

Just my thoughts :wink:

Jonzjob":2gosr7sz said:
They seem to have been around for quite a while now and the idea of the replaceable tip is that when you have ground it down to owt you pay for a new tip and not the lot. Plus it stays almost the same length?

John . I understand the principle of it , just not keen on bits that could come off :wink:

John.
I got the 5/8"/16mm unhandled woodcut bowl gouge,and fitted into a Simon Hope large handle,and it is a very nice tool.So is the handle,feels nicely balnced and nice grip.
I found the wooden handles fitted on the gouges were too small,which Phil agreed with.
I was a bit dubious meself with the tip been just superglued on,but so far it as been great.
It was very sharp out the packet,and lasted quite a while when i was cutting Oak,before i sharpened it.
Only problem is with the short flute it doesn't fit me Tormek jig,so have been doing it free hand :roll:
I'd recommend them :D

I must admit to being at a bit of a loss here? Am I missing something or is it a difficult job to turn a handle for these things?

I have turned lots of handles from tools to frying pans to beer pump handles and it has not been a problem. Are these tools different? This is a serious question because I have some lovely ash that would do the job really well.

I have always sharpened my gouges on a very simple home made jig, for want of a better word, usind a white wheel, so that side of it wouldn't worry me.

No John i don't think you are missing anything.
I too could've easily turned an handle,but liked the feel of the Simon Hope ones.
You might like the Woodcut handles,try one and see :D

The big difference for me is that the cost of a handle is the cost of the postage across here to France and the ash I already have. Nice straight grained and waiting for a job..

The un-handled ones come with a ferrule so that isn't a problem either, but it wouldn't be the first time I have used copper pipe. The French have a good range of that too from 8 to 22 mm in 2 mm steps! Hardened copper too

Here is Phil Irons,site John.
He is based just outside Stratford On Avon,and is the sole agent in the UK for Vicmarc/Woodcut products.
I was down their today picking up some bits and pieces and was trying to get him to join this forum. :roll:
Luckily for me he is only an hours drive away.
He is a really nice friendly chap,willing to help.

On the same sort of subject. Any ideas as to hand thread chasing? It's an idea I have had for ages and not followed up. The threads that I can cut at the moment are very large, probably 6 or 8 tpi and I would love to do some threaded boxes, plus my OH has a threaded box with the lid missing and it would be lovely to put the lid back on it!

I have had a look at that site Paul, thank you. It is very interesting and I like the style of the guy behind it. I found it difficult to make out the shipping charges with the black print on a dark blue background, but I got there in the end. I may well give him a bell next week?

I've also e-mailed Woodcut NZ after looking at the French prices. They want something like 78€ for the 13mm gouge and a spare tip to g with it! I am not sure just what planet they are on but the prices of some things here are cloud cookoo land.

I saved over £100 buying my Fein Multimaster from Axminster rather than here and it came with a boat load of free goodies too!

Jonzjob":2ffqcxp8 said:
On the same sort of subject. Any ideas as to hand thread chasing? It's an idea I have had for ages and not followed up. The threads that I can cut at the moment are very large, probably 6 or 8 tpi and I would love to do some threaded boxes, plus my OH has a threaded box with the lid missing and it would be lovely to put the lid back on it!

You could try John Berkeley's site http://www.johnberkeley.co.uk/ He sells the Ashley Iles 16tpi unichaser and also the Hamlet pairs of chasers in a variety of sizes. John's a very helpful guy to deal with. Alternatively, I believe Robert Sorby also do a range of thread chasers available from any Robert Sorby stockists.

Depending on the size of boxes you want to make 16tpi - 22tpi chasers would be about right.

tekno.mage

Any ideas as to hand thread chasing? It's an idea I have had for ages and not followed up.
Just where I was a couple of months ago.
I bought a pair of unhandled Sorby 16 tpi chasers from Turners Retreat.
While on a short holiday in the south of The Netherlands I had a one-day course with Jan Hovens, an inspiring teacher.

hans5.jpg

Although I have several DVD's on the subject it is very useful to have an expert explain how to sharpen and use the chasers.
Hans

Well, I have just ordered a 13mm spindle gouge and spare tip from Woodcut NZ. This was done for 2 reasons. 1. it is £10 or more cheaper delivered to the door and 2. because I couldn't find my way around the U.K. web site and find the 13mm gouge. Sad, but true. 19mm, no problem, but the 13mm was nowhere to be seen.

The postage from England to France is over £12, from New Zealand it's £5.60. Quite bizare!

I am looking forward to getting and using my new toy and I'll let you know what I find?

Well, my new toy arrived this lunchtime. No customs to pay which was a bonus.. It looks like a nice bit of kit. The grind is a lot shallower than I normally use, but I'll see how I get on with it?

Question? I have ordered the handleless 13mm spindle gouge and as I have not made handles for anything lke this, how much of the shaft needs to go into the handle and does it need to be glued in place?

I have a 13mm forscner bit so drilling the hole is no problem.

if its 13mm then i always drill a mm under and tap it home- i dont glue mine in and i normally allow at least 1 1/2" of shaft or even better 2"- make sure you use a ferrule

Blimey CC. I was thinking that I would have to put several inches, 4 or more, into the handle. That's going to be one long spindle gouge, 22 inches with 2 in the handle! It has a ferrule in the box, so no problems there.

The copper tubing here is great for ferrules because it's hardened and has to be softened before you can even start to think of bending it without getting a hernia!

if you've got that much to spare theres no harm in putting more in- my 1/2" hollowing spindle gouge only has 12" of shaft so i inserted 1 1/2" into the handle as i didn't want it any shorter than 10 1/2"
i've taken manafatur's handles of to fit my own and have only found a 1" on some tools :shock:

Back