Wood Suggestions sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott":1r4jzrhk said:
I have a tool chest in progress for measuring & marking tools in Black Walnut. I finished the lid (just because I've no patience and the rest of it is taking forever!) and it's looking great.
Clearly, photos to follow asap? :wink:

I'd vote for an english timber. Quite simply, its more sustainable and environmentally better in terms of less transportation, and supports more people (e.g tree surgeons) etc, locally.

I made an Oak box and it has a lovely warmth, now I've oiled and waxed it.

Adam

That mahogany crotch veneer looks magnificent Jason. Makes me think again about a veneered solution rather than solid timber. Adam, oak is still on my list - elm too now.

I have at least ruled out a couple of woods - the Padauk is too red and yesterday, I planed a board of Bubinga I had - it looked pretty nice but that stuff weighs a ton! I would need hinges from a bank vault manufacturer to support the doors - mind you with my new plane inside that may not be such a bad idea :wink:

Chris

I visited Good Timber on Saturday and they have a load of Elm for sale at £149 on a pallet. It is wany edged and there'll be a fair bit of scrap, but easily enough there for your cabinet with loads left over :wink:

Oh cheers Chris. Hello i am up the back here with the Mahogany Crotch :shock: :D :D

Regards

Woody

Woody, it does look the business doesn't it? Mind you, an elm burr looks pretty fantastic too.

Aragorn, reckon I will have to commission one of the turners here to make me a matching coffee mug in wood!

waterhead37":3deexhzx said:
Aragorn, reckon I will have to commission one of the turners here to make me a matching coffee mug in wood!
Reckon you should! In cocobolo, d'you think?

Latest posts

Back