Identifying various woods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elephant

Reaction score
Hi, new here and mainly a metal person and electrical engineer in the day job. I'm in need of some identification of various woods used in organ consoles. Basically I am cataloguing a collection and want to use the correct description of the woods from which they are built. I am not confident that I can tell utile, sapele and African mahogany apart, for example. In addition to those, the manufacturers typically offered walnut, beech, various shades of oak, and at least one of the consoles is rosewood.
So here's No.1, I must have a dozen or more for your kind consideration.
Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• DSCF7127.JPG
    DSCF7127.JPG
    577.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF7139.JPG
    DSCF7139.JPG
    580.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF7133.JPG
    DSCF7133.JPG
    604.9 KB · Views: 0
I'd guess sapele, mainly because I built a sapele ukulele which looks just like the middle pic. But all the African mahoganoids have similarities, and colour and striping varies within species.

OK Sapele for No.1, thank you.

Same again for No.2 here or different? Also would one tend to categorise the colour (light sapele / dark sapele) etc? I see in a couple of specifications that customers are calling for light or dark finishes.
Sorry the colour rendition is not consistent between these two, they were taken a while back on a very old phone.

Attachments

• IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0028.jpg
    IMAG0028.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back