Another wood identification question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if i could glean your knowledge in attempting to identify a grain pattern and colour, or as close as possible?

Timber.jpg

I am a F.M. at a pretty well known hotel group and we are planning to have a mini refurb in the winter months when business is slack.

The works will include new bedroom and bathroom doors, as the current ones are skinned using a vinyl wrap that is peeling on several of the doors & most of the damage is at the base of the door.. (Not a good product for a busy hotel)

In the interim, I was considering buying some wrap of a similar grain type and colour, that I could splice in or lay over the top of the damaged areas after removing the existing peeled product, but cant seem to find much online, and was wondering if someone could advise of the timber type that is illustrated in the included photo?

I was thinking that it is a walnut of some type, maybe American, but I will leave the actual identification to the experts, if I may?

Many thanks in advance

Simon

Hello Simon,
Yes walnut but most likely European walnut. American (often called Virginian walnut in UK) is rather purple shades. These vinyl wraps are esentially photographed and printed on the vinyl (think Formica). The original veneer would be "crown cut", where a log is sawn through and through, or even peeled from a log.
It would be v.difficult to match in the manner you suggest. A "kick" panel would be a better bet.

XTiffy

Back