Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Blister

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully [-o< [-o<

I will be moving home soon and will need to build a new workshop :lol:

The width of the rear garden is 41 ft

or if I leave the garage in place 30ft

I now NOTHING about planning and building regs :oops: :roll: but have read about building up to boundaries

I am probably wrong on this , but if its combustible you cant build to the boundaries

What if its a steel faced building or built from block work ?

Also I saw something about roof heights / limits being subject to surrounding land height

My new garden is on a slight slope the further down the garden you go the higher it gets and it keeps getting higher on the adjoining property

Can anyone advise or point me in the right direction please :mrgreen:

theartfulbodger

Established Member
Reaction score
The local (to me) county council website has a pretty good planning section, with a section for buildings in the garden. It covers max height/max area/distance from boundaries etc... Might be worth a look

This also might help

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... tbuildings

copied and pasted:
Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwelling house.

etc

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
As above, the planning portal has all the info you need. Ref building construction, much as I like the ease of building things from wood I'd go for block/brick. Potentially more secure and better for keeping the noise levels low, dont want to be upsetting the new neighbours too soon :)