Wood Steel or Block ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully [-o< [-o<

I will be moving home soon and will need to build a new workshop :lol:

The width of the rear garden is 41 ft

or if I leave the garage in place 30ft

I now NOTHING about planning and building regs :oops: :roll: but have read about building up to boundaries

I am probably wrong on this , but if its combustible you cant build to the boundaries

What if its a steel faced building or built from block work ?

Also I saw something about roof heights / limits being subject to surrounding land height

My new garden is on a slight slope the further down the garden you go the higher it gets and it keeps getting higher on the adjoining property

Garden_IMG_01_0001_max_620x414.jpg

Can anyone advise or point me in the right direction please :mrgreen:

The local (to me) county council website has a pretty good planning section, with a section for buildings in the garden. It covers max height/max area/distance from boundaries etc... Might be worth a look

This also might help

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... tbuildings

copied and pasted:
Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwelling house.

etc

As above, the planning portal has all the info you need. Ref building construction, much as I like the ease of building things from wood I'd go for block/brick. Potentially more secure and better for keeping the noise levels low, dont want to be upsetting the new neighbours too soon :)

Back