Maximum height of boundary....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy121

Established Member
Reaction score
So this is interesting, some may remember i post this picture below in another thread, something came up when I discussed permission to build a shed, i got it okayed from the Council, this is a Council home we intend on eventually buying - it is rented currently ;)

Now this line is what confuses me,

"Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse"

From my understanding this would include this wall at the back and here's the important bit! that fence on the left? the very bottom of the fence only is where the ground is surrounding my house at the rear, its an odd design but it is because of a rather steep slope but alas this fence goes to the house itself and the ground is level with it OUTSIDE of the garden, so it begs the question, how high could i go as from my understanding its the highest point in the garden from where the shed would be built but that would in fact mean my shed compared to the outside boundary would only be about 2ft high XD

So what's peoples thoughts on this? Who would be the best person for me to contact to clarify this?

IMG20220913095240.jpg

From looking at the guidance on the planning portal my interpretation is that you could put a shed with a maximum height of 2.5 metres in the space shown.

I’d ring the planning department and ask them to double check though. There tends to be mixed opinions on planners but I’ve only ever found them to be helpful.

As @Blackswanwood said, itd likely be 2.5 at the location of the shed, not 2.5m from the highest point of your property boundary.

Including planning and where needed building control is a very good move, you'll be on a losing battle if you exclude them. Ask questions and be polite, you'll get further 👍

Cheers guys, I actually contacted the team behind the building of the property who also confirmed this, now its just onto deciding apex or pent :D I will eventually once I've finished the design phase post a build log :D

We built a bungalow once on a slightly sloping plot and it had a maximum height. On questioning the planers where I should measure from I was told from the curb.

We built a bungalow once on a slightly sloping plot and it had a maximum height. On questioning the planers where I should measure from I was told from the curb

My garden slopes steeply away from kerb - this rule would allow me to build a two or three storey shed.

I was told you measure from the base of the wall.

Scraping the soil/ground around the base of the wall allows you to maximise your permitted development allowance.

Back