Wood preservation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiegirl

Established Member
Reaction score
HELP. Am COMPLETELY new to the world of woodworking
Because of health problems and time on hands became interested in woodworking
Have so far acquired a small axminster lathe and set of carving tools and chisels so lots to learn

Out of lots of ideas one thing I also want to do is make some ornamental rounds from a very large fir tree which had been planted far too near to house (recently bought) now been taken down (tree not house lol)
I would like to cut resulting large logs into rounds and then mosaic topside before putting around raised edges of a pond (they will not be for walking on). Advice please on pre treatment of logs/rounds before applying mosaics?

I have time to wait for treatment to be effective, as move to said house wont happen until current house sold

Many thanks. Hope this isnt the wrong place for this enquiry!
Newbiegirl

newbiegirl":126o2os8 said:
HELP. Am COMPLETELY new to the world of woodworking
Because of health problems and time on hands became interested in woodworking
Have so far acquired a small axminster lathe and set of carving tools and chisels so lots to learn

Out of lots of ideas one thing I also want to do is make some ornamental rounds from a very large fir tree which had been planted far too near to house (recently bought) now been taken down (tree not house lol)
I would like to cut resulting large logs into rounds and then mosaic topside before putting around raised edges of a pond (they will not be for walking on). Advice please on pre treatment of logs/rounds before applying mosaics?

I have time to wait for treatment to be effective, as move to said house wont happen until current house sold

Many thanks. Hope this isnt the wrong place for this enquiry!
Newbiegirl
Nothing will prevent your rounds from splitting and distorting. Even if you could get them dry without splitting (which is almost possible) once outside they will spring into action!
Use the logs by all means but see them as perishable and short lived. Or if you want mosaics chose another way to mount them.

I am afraid to say your plan won't work, the wood will shrink and crack as it dries which will make the mosaic come off.
You would be much better off using paving stones.

Pete

Furthermore, please don't attempt to use carving tools on the lathe - a recipe for disaster.

The mosaic just needs to be isolated from the rounds. So for instance using a 2mm galvanised plate that is screwed / nailed in the centre to the round can then have the mosaic applied to it successfully . The seasonal variation in the wooden rounds won't affect anything.

Infortunately the rounds won't last too many seasons and will rot, you could have them pressure treated to make them last longet

Back