Wood Milne Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been to buying and do up old pumps, great fun! Would recommend these as a restoration project and something a bit different from the usually saw, planes, drills, etc...

Anyway, this one caught my attention because it differs from pretty much all the other foot pumps I have seen (new or old). Most people I am sure are familiar with the typical design of foot pump, where the piston is mounted directly to the foot pedal and bobs up and down slightly in use.

On this "Wood Milne" design this does not happen, the cylinder forms part of the cast steel base (the cylinder itself is brass I think) with the pedalling motion being transferred via and set of levers. Its very efficient and I like how neatly it foulds away.

British Goodrich Wood Milne Patent Foot Pump by Rhyolith, on Flickr

British Goodrich Wood Milne Patent Foot Pump by Rhyolith, on Flickr

It dates 1924-34 so its doing pretty well! The pressure gauge even still works :shock:

Though I would not say this is outright better than the standard design we all know for foot pumps, its defiantly on par if made to this level of quality. Its kinda surprising no more pumps of this type were made after 1934... mind made to modern standards it would be a deadly ankle trap :?

Reference: http://www.vintagepumps.co.uk/index.html -> go to "makes and models", British Wood Milne so see info on this pump.

Apart from the pressure gauge, that is the pump that sits under the rear deck of my Golf! Inherited from my late Father, so must date back at least to the 1940s. As you say, beautifully made, works like a dream and has got me out of awkward situations several times in the last 35 years.

dickm":1llnzt8w said:
Apart from the pressure gauge, that is the pump that sits under the rear deck of my Golf! Inherited from my late Father, so must date back at least to the 1940s. As you say, beautifully made, works like a dream and has got me out of awkward situations several times in the last 35 years.
Do you have a picture?

These were made 1911 - 1934, just by looking you can narrow it down to 1911 - 24 or 1924 - 34. So yours will not be later than 1934 regardless (if its a Wood Milne) and could be older still :)

Its great to hear about someone else owning and using one of these :D Thanks for posting!

Haha! Had not even noticed that it had received attention outside the thread! Thanks for pointing it out :D

dickm, I will post a picture of the 1911-24 model when I have it :) The one at the top is the 1924-34 version. Basically if it says "British Goodrich" on it, then its the later model (produced by British Goodrich).

Fitting winter tyres to the Golf today(!) so dug out the footpump; here are some images.
DSCF5163.JPG

DSCF5164.JPG

DSCF5165.JPG

DSCF5166.JPG

Of course, it's not nice and clean like the OP's. But it is a working tool.

It made me think - when you are in your 70s, you suddenly realise that things you've used for most of your life and regard as everyday items are now becoming collectable antiques! Shame it doesn't apply to the owner as well :D

Attachments

• DSCF5163.JPG
    DSCF5163.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,529
  • DSCF5164.JPG
    DSCF5164.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,530
  • DSCF5165.JPG
    DSCF5165.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,528
  • DSCF5166.JPG
    DSCF5166.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,527
Thats the 1924-34 model like mine, so around 82-92 years old! Great to see it as a working tool :D You won't get one that good now so keep hold of it :)

The vintage pumps guy recommends oiling these with vegetable oil, as apparently mineral oil damages the leather? The great thing about these though its they are so easy to maintain, I used an old shoe to make new washers for mine :D

Interesting it looks like yours never had a pressure gauge.

Thanks for the pictures!

Interestingly mine also does not have a pressure gauge or anywhere to fit one. Does that date it more specifically ?

Back