Kismet Trolly Compressor (Restoration Round 2)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought the title was wrong for a moment, looked more like a trolley jack at first glance :lol:

flh801978":105pglza said:
After seeing your restoration I couldn't resist and bought this monster yesterday
It did come to bits reasonable easily apart from the axle for the wheels
Painting tommorow if the weather is fit
Ian
Nice! though I am quite bitter about how easily yours came apart :evil:

Pictures of the finished product?

I noticed rhe handle on yours is brassy looking. I wondered if some of the handles where originally brass coated (or something that looks like brass) after seeing hints of it on mine. Most I have seen just have grey metal... I suspect the brass coated varient is older (just because more brass seems to equal older ;) ).

Its funny, I always mistake trolly jacks for kismet compressors :roll:

flh801978":2lgi58pb said:
They were made just round the corner from where i now live and plc which was an offshoot of kismet and hattersley and Davidson who also made pumps..quite why sheffield could support so many pump company's...
Now your pumps ready how many strokes would it take to top a tyre up do you think?
Ian
Just spotted this.

I am aware of a number of makes from Sheffield, indeed this list makes up around half of the old manufacturers I know of!

Walter & Dobson
Willaim Turner
Hattersley & Davidson
PCL
Nesthill

What was the one you mention called?

The handle is a solid brass fitting on the end I'm imaginining that mine is as old as they come because its got solid wheels no tyres no test pressure port the brass handle etc
The pivot for the cylinder is just a pin no thread
I've taken the easy way out and having it powder coated with a batch of other stuff that needs doing ready on thursday hopefully.
I'm going to see if i can get some modern seals for it rather than leather as i do want to use it
Ian

I have not heard of anyone using non-leather seals on these, I assume rubber is what you mean by "modern"? The leather ones do work very well if they are cut accuratly and neatly (which is something I have admittedly not mastered yet), I doubt rubber is as effective but it would be interestng to know for sure.

I did manage to get some modern rubber type seals...called cup seals..they supposedly do the same job as the leather but are not prone to drying out.
After buying those though got lucky and bought an original set of leather seals boxed off ebay
So will see which to use..
A few q's for rhyolith
What was bolted on under neath the base where the badge sits? There's 2 heavily corroded studs with nuts still on...a block of wood or rubber?
How do your wheels bolt on? The axle on mine is now a length of stainless threaded on both ends to fasten the wheels on with....this axle passes through the casting ,the handle with new bearings sits on it in the middle, however do you think just leave the nuts slightly loose so the wheels turn on the relatively loose axle. There seems to be a lube hole on each wheel..
Also who do think made the whole thing...i dont think it was turners (kismet) as there's not cast in id.. what does the reg design number relate to?

Ian

flh801978":15vezmqk said:
After seeing your restoration I couldn't resist and bought this monster yesterday
It did come to bits reasonable easily apart from the axle for the wheels
Painting tommorow if the weather is fit
Ian
Its been a while I, any progress with your restoration?

For some reason I've missed this whole thread and only found it today. I must say you've done a really nice job Ryolith - isn't it satisfying to recue some old bit of junk and bring it back to useful life. Well done Sir, it looks great =D>

Incidentally there's a +1 from me about what ED 65 said a while back. I always have a half litre tin of acetone on the go in the shop (it's freely available here). Personally I like the smell but that of course is a personal thing (comes from my model aero hobby background, where the "dope" for tightening tissue wing covering has a LOT of acetone in it - smells strongly of pear drops).

But if you can't stand the smell then you can't, though you can use it with door & window/s open - it does evaporate very quickly so that strong smell does clear away pretty quickly.

Ditto with disposing of any remains (but like ED 65, not that I've ever found it necessary). Just pour it into a tin or glass dish (NOT plastic!!!) and leave it open on a garden wall, path, or something. It'll soon go, and don't forget, it does originally come from wood somehow (I think).

Anyway, well done, nice job, something to be proud of (I wonder how many people will be posting here in 100 years time about their renovations of old "Chiwanese" tools)? :D

AES

This is how mine turned out
But since that i bought another with tyres rather than solid cast iron wheels and only a steel handle
I did that one in green
But for now in post office red

Attachments

• ED33E311-E954-4C66-90BF-82DFCD29EDB3.jpeg
    ED33E311-E954-4C66-90BF-82DFCD29EDB3.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 654
  • 9970A832-4345-41A1-A589-5EA63275AB97.jpeg
    9970A832-4345-41A1-A589-5EA63275AB97.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 654
flh801978":3gllhre7 said:
This is how mine turned out
But since that i bought another with tyres rather than solid cast iron wheels and only a steel handle
I did that one in green
But for now in post office red
I am very enveous of that brass handle, never seen another like that! Very nice.

Mine has had its first job recently blowing out the oil tubes on my milling machine: milling-machine-for-steam-engines-t108613-30.html

Back