Wood Identification?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ttrees":3vvoq415 said:
I don't have any knowledge of timbers, but that piccy looks like the tree was grafted. by the V-shape in it.
Could it be a hazel, or some other tree that is normally grafted ?
(I don't know if hazel is normally grafted)
But I found some hazel that looked like that.

If it is indeed a graft, Is the wood the same on both ends ?

Cant be Hazel, doesn't go orange when cut

I'm not sure what the V shape bit is, but it's unlikely to have even grafted it was wild wood rather than anything planted deliberately.

I'm going to work on the basis that it's alder I think.

The bread bin looks good, hopefully the stuff I'm drying is as nice. I've only really got bowl blanks though, I might just about get a small box or two out of the pith boards I cut out, but I I'll dry that too and see rather than putting it on the fire.

If you can find a big thick slab then Alder's not a bad substitute for Elm in windsor seats.

The problem is that Alder's not a commercial timber, so your best chance of finding some is in a rural yard that will process the odd few trees from a local farmer or landowner. The typical timber yard that's set up to service building and joinery needs is very unlikely to stock Alder.

It looks like alder to me, including the bark. I have just spent a couple of days cutting down alders with a chainsaw, so I have seen plenty close up. The rather startling orange discolouration does fade with age. I have been cutting it for firewood, never thought of using it for woodwork, so I will have to set aside a couple of big chunks to season.

They use alder for some Fender stratocasters, if that's any interest.
Presumably much larger trees in the States though.

Did you ever figure this one out OP? I ask only as I was cutting up a tree that fell in the storm recently and now that the ends have been oxidised they have gone a similar orange to yours. It's thrown my tree identification out of whack... :-k

Back