Wood Identification, old timber Please Help,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marku

Established Member
Reaction score
I have acquired these old worktops from a Science Lab, they where removed from the Lab over 30 years ago and have been stored in a dry barn ever since.

Just interested if anybody would have any idea what the wood might be, there are 3 lengths 16ft long so they are quite big.

Many Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• desktop1.jpg
    desktop1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 197
  • desktop2.jpg
    desktop2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 197
  • worktop.jpg
    worktop.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 197
I'd also say teak. I got some lab worktops from a local university maybe 15 years ago and they were pretty old too. Cleaned up nicely and made a few smaller worktops and a large mirror frame.

Hello
More pics are necessary, close ups with some freshly shaved portions.
some of it does look like iroko, nicknamed "African teak", but we would need some better shots to confirm so
Great score :D
Tom

My vote is for Iroko although the photos need to show a cleaned up section. I started my apprenticeship (1959) with the task of hand sanding similar bench tops for a new school build. Teak has been far to expensive for this job for several decades now. A while back I agreed to look at some "Teak" which a boater had purchased to make roof lights for his barge, after transporting them a huge distance he was distressed to be told that they were Iroko not Teak.

I would also say Iroko. Not easy as it looks heavily sun bleached.

The photos arent good enough to be sure, but I would a reasonable chance of being teak.

Teak was used in lab tops once, and since these were removed in the 1980's that would probably make them quite old, poss 60s / 70s

the paler image does look like iroko grain though......

+1 on iroko, the last shot looks 100% iroko.
Nice timber but can cause reactions for some people so mask up if you are machining or sanding.

Pete

Thank you as ever for the help, I have taken some more pictures which hopefully will be clearer.

I cut some off earlier, and I will have a look at some shavings when I get home from work.

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• wood 1.jpg
    wood 1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 103
  • wood 2.jpg
    wood 2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 103
  • wood 3.jpg
    wood 3.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 103
  • wood 4.jpg
    wood 4.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 103
:p If you think Iroko blunts cutters you can't have used teak! the amount of silica in it varies but in the worst case the blades will be blunt and the timber being hammered in about two metres of planing. TCT knives are the only reliable answer to the planing of teak, That means it's a brave or foolish chap who agrees to recycle salvaged teak. With a set of knives priced at over £100 per pair an encounter with any sort of metal fixing in the material is a very expensive drawback.
After looking at the latest post you can make mine a definite for Iroko

iroko, nice durable timber

Not teak sadly which is worth 5 or 6 times more

iroko does contain calcium deposits, but its not all that common. I find they tend to be surrounded by darkened timber which helps to see it. Nasty stuff writes off cutters, which is not surprising as its stone basically!

Calcium deposits !
That must be what I have seen on some examples ...
I will take a piccy of it later, if I can find the piece with it

Thanks RobinBHM
Tom

Here is the piece of iroko that has minerals embedded in it.
I can't say, I get the feeling that this dulls the plane irons edge though.

Interesting discussion
Tom

Attachments

• SAM_2148.JPG
    SAM_2148.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 33
  • SAM_2149.JPG
    SAM_2149.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 33
  • SAM_2150.JPG
    SAM_2150.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for all the help identifying the wood, I am sure that we will find something to make from it.

Shame it wasn't Teak but as it was free I can't complain!

Definately Iroko. I took a similar load out of a local college ten years ago, that was new built in 1971, There is much wishful thinking when lab benches come out, unless its pre war its unlikely to be teak it was simply too expensive.
Last lot of teak i had was about 20 years ago, cable duct covers out of a Telephone exchange, each cover was 5ft 6" long 2ft 6" wide made up of three boards 1 3/8" thick tongue & grooved together, great brass hinges & gunmetal lifting eyes with the Royal cypher GR cast into them I had a lorry load of 20 of them for £150. Happy day that was!

Keith 66":qxh6b4kc said:
Last lot of teak i had was about 20 years ago, cable duct covers out of a Telephone exchange, each cover was 5ft 6" long 2ft 6" wide made up of three boards 1 3/8" thick tongue & grooved together, great brass hinges & gunmetal lifting eyes with the Royal cypher GR cast into them I had a lorry load of 20 of them for £150. Happy day that was!

If they came from Essex, they probably had my boot prints all over them. :-D

Latest posts

Back