Wood ID please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Richard. It doesn't look like oak in the flesh, but I know there are different kinds. The outside, aged bit has gone reddish, but the newly cut bit is a strange mustardy colour. I wondered if it could be mahogany.

Could well be oak. It is a very heavy wood and can look very different depend how the timber has been cut. Colours are very variable I find and can't always be used as a way of identifying wood. I have some oak that is yellow and some that is grey.

Pete

Hi LW,

Mahogany grows in the type of climate that is hot and wet all year round so you tend not to get growth rings in the same way that you do with native timbers. I can never remember which way round it is but one groes slowly in the winter (the darker lines I think) and the other grows faster in the summer, hence you get "early growth" and "late growth" and so rings (which is why you can count the rings of a tree to see how old it is.

Apologies if you already knew this :oops:

Richard

follow your nose Lw :D does it smell like oak? i've found that all oaks have a similar smell whether its green oak or a 200 year old beam there's a similar "oaky" smell !!!

cornucopia":2vl71cfe said:
follow your nose Lw :D does it smell like oak? i've found that all oaks have a similar smell whether its green oak or a 200 year old beam there's a similar "oaky" smell !!!

Good point George. Thanks. I'll give it a good sniff when I start turning it :wink: ....though that probably means me Aircap's not working :?

Mustard then redish, Iroko?

if it is watch out for the dust.

Pete

I'm a novice so may be totally wrong, but I can't see any rays that would suggest oak and you mention it is mustardy colour with pinkish reddish bits. Could it be Chestnut? This weighs a ton, has a grain a little like oak but without the rays and mine is a yellowy colour when freshly planed with some pinkish bits in places on the unplaned area.... sounds a little similar. The grain also slightly reminds me of a small branch I picked up recently that I believe might be elm but thats a big piece for elm nowadays so maybe not :?

nother vote for iroko - if it is be very careful of the dust - in addition to the aircap try and keep it off your skin as much as possible

Lightweeder":29i7xz1e said:
big soft moose":29i7xz1e said:
try and keep it off your skin as much as possible

.....another reason for the smock! Thanks BSM.

last time i turn iroko i had an alergic reaction on my hands - i wont turn it at all now as it is also a sensitizer for other wood alergies and i dont want to go there. If i had to I would use barrier cream on exposed skin

The other possibility starting yellow and going red-brown is Acacia or False Acacia (Robinia) If it is that then it produces lovely results, but is very hard. You'll need the grinder!

Come on LW get it turned, then we can see for certain what it is... your keeping us in suspense!!!!...... :wink: :wink:

Richard

Back