Help with ident please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly38

Reaction score
We are selling a very old lathe , bought in 1965 but dates well before then. Very heavy cast iron. Hoping to identify it but no names on it . If anyone can help looking at the photos that would be great. A rough value would be helpful too . Selling as just bought a new Axminster one .many thanks.
IMG_20240130_124551.jpg
IMG_20240130_124312.jpg
IMG_20240130_130645.jpg
IMG_20240130_130819.jpg
IMG_20240130_130702.jpg
IMG_20240130_130625.jpg

Given that it looks somewhat "agricultural" and lacks any safety features such as guards over the pulleys etc. if it has a threaded spindle, it is likely to be an uncommon thread which would make it difficult to find chucks and other accessories to fit and the bearings look like constant loss types which would need a continuous supply of oil I would suggest you may find it difficult to find anyone prepared to take it on but if you do, then perhaps a price of £50 would be fair.
If you can't find a buyer, there are timber, tools and equipment auctions at Pugh's in Ledbury every few months. You might be better off putting it in one of those for sale.

Given that it looks somewhat "agricultural" and lacks any safety features such as guards over the pulleys etc. if it has a threaded spindle, it is likely to be an uncommon thread which would make it difficult to find chucks and other accessories to fit and the bearings look like constant loss types which would need a continuous supply of oil I would suggest you may find it difficult to find anyone prepared to take it on but if you do, then perhaps a price of £50 would be fair.
If you can't find a buyer, there are timber, tools and equipment auctions at Pugh's in Ledbury every few months. You might be better off putting it in one of those for sale.
Many thanks

Any idea how old it would be, what era ? We have searched for anything similar and not found anything quite like it yet . It certainly works well and can take a large piece of timber

It could well be 19th century or older. It looks like the motor mount isn't part of the lathe structure so I suspect the motor and pulleys were added to a pre-electric lathe that was originally driven from either an overhead belt/steam engine or something along those lines.

Back