Removing marks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, hope you’re well. Could anyone help with stain removal advice for the pictured table top please. Ideally I’d like to keep the patina, but it not what’s best to remove the marks and refinish. Wood ID would be nice too if anyone knows. TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Without being rude but I think that is proabably mango wood or one of the similar cheap hardwoods that get imported as built furniture Mango | The Wood Database (Hardwood). That's not to say it is not attractive mind you.

What caused the black marks? that might help with working out what to remove it with. If it's a rubber foot off something being dragged for example

Hi Zed, thanks for the reply. I’m not sure what caused the marks as it’s not my table. I thought it was some sort of burn mark, it doesn’t look like drag marks but I could be wrong. Sorry that’s no help!!

The wood looks like antique faded mahogany, a photo of the whole piece would help though. The marks are caused by iron being in contact and reacting with the tannin in the wood. you will have to take the finish off, if it is antique it should be shellac and should come off easily with meths and fine wire wool. You will then need to bleach out the stains with oxalic acid then refinish.
https://apcpure.com/product/oxalic-...box-friendly-pouch/?attribute_pack-size=100gmor
liberon oxalic acid
You may be able to get either one of these from Handyman in Tewkesbury.

good timing,
I have a light colour'd hardwood bench that has water stains......it's never been outside all it's life.....holiday renters.....!!!!..
kept thinking I must refinish it.....well now I have to.......
although it still has a factory stain/finish I guess UV has made pourus.....
Have tried wetting the marks with water which lessons the stains but the stains reappear when dry.....they are def not red wine .....
in an out of the way place have used some 150 wetdry paper used dry to sand it but the stains are deep......
I dont want to restain it darker because of the other light wood furniture
I certainly dont want to buy another just for this.....
any ideas.....other than vanish it and try not to look at them anymore.....
did think of getting some thin coushions made for the base n back but that'll cost more than 1/2 a new bench......grrrrr

The wood looks like antique faded mahogany, a photo of the whole piece would help though. The marks are caused by iron being in contact and reacting with the tannin in the wood. you will have to take the finish off, if it is antique it should be shellac and should come off easily with meths and fine wire wool. You will then need to bleach out the stains with oxalic acid then refinish.
https://apcpure.com/product/oxalic-...box-friendly-pouch/?attribute_pack-size=100gmor
liberon oxalic acid
You may be able to get either one of these from Handyman in Tewkesbury.
Are you local Mr. Snodgrass?

Back