Wood ID please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard Findley":o4p3if5e said:
Come on LW get it turned, then we can see for certain what it is... your keeping us in suspense!!!!...... :wink: :wink:

Richard

OK, here goes. I've put nothing on it, but a sample goes really dark. Waste of time, as it turns out, as there are some horrible cracks in it :(

Any thoughts ?

You've got me with that one LW. Deffinately not Oak, that I can confirm now I've seen it!!! Could be Iroko but I haven't much experience of working it so can't be much help. Was it oily and hard on the tools?? (lots of re-sharpening?)

Richard

Bodrighy":3mrm3i8a said:
I don't think it's iroko, at least not like any I've seen. Where did you get it from?

pete

it looks a bit like monkey puzzle to me (Ive never turned that either , but rember seeing a bowl that ceiran forbes did out of MP and it looked rather like that)

Monkey puzzle, now thats exotic! :shock:

Elm?? I don't know from experience, but here's one:
elm_bowl.jpg

edit: I looked up monkey puzzle. It has branches that exit at the same level all around the trunk so you can get some spectacular effects like here.

Elm was my first thought, but if you compare it to Paul's bowl he turned the other day they are quite different.

Paul might be on to something with Sumac

il_fullxfull.94522989.jpg

Bodrighy":1ebq1koq said:
I don't think it's iroko, at least not like any I've seen. Where did you get it from?

pete

Bit of a huge plank been in friend's garage for years. Are we sure it's not teak? It was a bit brittle, but not too hard on the tools. ....oh, and can I save it from the cracks ? What about copper powder?

Dan-K":12p7e2x1 said:
edit: I looked up monkey puzzle. It has branches that exit at the same level all around the trunk so you can get some spectacular effects like here.

good point- I cant find a picture of the one i was thinking of but its in the tony boase woodturning masterclass book

I've never heard of Sumac, but it sounds a bit exotic to have been lying in friend's garage for years. Probably something more utilitarian - but it doesn't look like elm to me. Anyroadup, I'll try filling the crack with copper and give it a coat of something nice.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

I don't know Tom, they actually looked kinda similar to me:

elmbowl.jpg

100_0005.jpg

But I'm no expert and LW says no so I gues you're right :p

I turned some Sumac and it does look like that LW,but i think it only grows to smallish diams :?:
How big is the plank you have :?:
It's the wrong colour for the Elm i have and have seen.

Paul.J":1g1dmdra said:
I turned some Sumac and it does look like that LW,but i think it only grows to smallish diams :?:
How big is the plank you have :?:
It's the wrong colour for the Elm i have and have seen.

About 8x4" Paul.

Oiled up, it lookes like that middle one of yours Jenx.

Back