WOOD GLUE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really depends on what you plan on doing with it.

Cascamite is best for most things but sometimes Polyurethane is a better choice for others such as gluing up pressure treated and damp timbers.

I have been using the gorilla pu stuff recently (well last year) for external jobs. It is messy but holds well.

Dec":5yeyjhrx said:
Which weatherproof wood glue do you find to be the best?
Everbuild D4. I can buy a litre locally for less than a fiver. For all round general cabinet making and woodworking applications (interior and exterior) it simply cannot be beaten...and that includes laminating and RF curing - Rob

I’ve only used Titebond 3 but it has worked well for me. I remember reading an article circulated a while ago that showed cascamite failed fairly quickly as it lacked the elasticity to move with the wood as it took on and shed moisture. I’ve never used it myself but those findings did seem to make sense, although whether that matters would depend on the environment the glued item was in.

That may we’ll be the case but as I say I’ve no experience of using UF glues so can’t comment. I do remember the article though and it tested a number of waterproof glues including PU, UF and TB3 by leaving glued joints out in all seasons. Cascamite was the first to fail as the glue was “glass hard” and the adjacent wood just tore itself to shreds while taking on and discharging moisture. That may have been in some extremes of the North American climate though (my memory is not 100%).

memzey":2rxos1k9 said:
I’ve only used Titebond 3 but it has worked well for me.
I've used TB3 & 2 extensively and I've found the same; it's good stuff and it works. Everbuild D4 is as good and around a third the price (at least where I get it from) - Rob

woodbloke66":4vlwga05 said:
Everbuild D4. I can buy a litre locally for less than a fiver.
Argh, typically north of €20 Euros here and that's if you can find it!

+1 for everbuild D4 (I get mine from Toolstation). I also like Titebond III for anything food/child-safe.

PS the everbuild PU stuff in a gun tube is also very good, but can be messy and is pretty toxic.

Woody2Shoes":3msb0azt said:
PS the everbuild PU stuff in a gun tube is also very good, but can be messy and is pretty toxic.

Woody, Do you find the guntube PU lasts between jobs for any length of time?
When I used to buy the 750gm pots from TS, the glue left over when I finished a job usually had gone off before the next job no matter how careful I was to exclude air etc so it worked out very expensive.

tia
Bob

Another vote for the titebond, think it’s the 3 that comes with a green label and is weatherproof.

IT really depends on the application. Generally have titebond 2 as well as PU GLUE for exterior glue. The decision to use one over the other will depend on time and how easy the clean up will be.

Back