Wood chippings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've been roughing this weekend and have 6 black bags full of waste chippings, I have a friend who has chickens and will take them off my hands, what does everyones else do with what they have?
Chris.

Chippings are fine for chickens, that's what we use them for. Personally I wouldn't put them in to compost unless they are really diluted down with other stuff as they really rob the nitrogen from the soil and take ages to rot down. I use them also for garden paths as they cover weed growth and as long as you water them after laying them stay in place. If you have too many, put them on free cycle and you will get plenty of chicken owners wanting them.

pete

P.S. Walnut is poisonous to horses apparently so be careful if any horse owners ask for them.

Bodrighy wrote
P.S. Walnut is poisonous to horses apparently so be careful if any horse owners ask for them.
What about Yew shavings Pete.Can they be used for chickens/horses, :?: because that's where my shavings go now,but was unsure about the Yew ones :?

All of my hens have had yew, laburnum etc shavings and all they ever die of is fox teeth LOL. I'd be a little careful of the dust perhaps though.

pete

whenever i put a bucket of shavings in i chuck in a bucket of water with it.
i have 5 compost bins in my garden that i put the shavings in so they dont get too packed.

Paul.J":bp5t1bvr said:
Bodrighy wrote
What about Yew shavings Pete.Can they be used for chickens/horses, :?: because that's where my shavings go now,but was unsure about the Yew ones :?

Yew is extremely poisonous to horses!!!! It will kill them!!

johnny.t.":3pj1odw9 said:
Paul.J":3pj1odw9 said:
Bodrighy wrote

Yew is extremely poisonous to horses!!!! It will kill them!!
Thank you Johnny.

Hi,

My wife....who knows all there is to know about everything says......

its fine to put the shavings on the compost provided its mixed with green stuff and grass cuttings. All the green stuff is full of nitrogen and lacks carbon so the woodshavings add the carbon element and will make the compost rot down quickly. If you put wood shavings down on the garden as a mulch directly, it will, over probably two years cause nitrogen depletion.

Give it to the chickens as bedding and allow them to 'do their stuff' on it will enable the manure to rot down very quickly. We use about four tons every year without problems.

We have a lot of chickens for meat and eggs. My wife runs a plant nursery business and we also are completely self sufficient in fruit and vegetables. So the plot is productive and my contribution together with the chicken's saves a fortune in fertiliser. Having said that, we do add a little bit of nitrogen around the fruit trees from time to time just to be safe.

Basically, I sort the shavings with a sieve. Takes me about half an hour every week. There is usually quite a big pile at one side of the workshop. I suppose I should do it every day but I'm a lazy git and there is important stuff to do like posting on forums and playing games on the Mac.

The big stuff goes to the chickens
The first sieve goes on the compost
The crud left on the floor either goes on the paths or directly to the dump with the other rubbish.

Thanks Johnny, hadn't bee told that one so will remember. Not been a problem for me so far as my stuff goes to chooks not horses but good to know,.

Pete

Latest posts

Back