Wood carving courses?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good wood carving course, ideally for sculpting in the round.

I'm looking to buy my wife some carving tools and thought that a course might be a good idea as well.

Ideally in the SW, Bristol/Somerset/Devon/Wales, that kind of thing.

Cheers
Dave

Hello Dave,

The only one that I know of in your stipulated area that comes to mind is this one. Zoe Gertner.
She has written numerous articles and has written a book/books.
She is well respected.

http://www.zoegertner.co.uk

H.T.H.
Kind regards.
Trev

Hello Dave,

With respect, as far as reading matter I would strongly recommend the following.

Wood carving magazine (GMC publications)
Http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Woodca ... 007WC.html

Any book by Ian Norbury
Mary Duke Guldan
Desiree Hajny

As for the carving chisels I have a few different makes and have recently bought
Some by PFEIL these have to be IMO the best I have got.

But as far as what sort of chisels/gouges you need greatly depends on what it is that your wife wishes to carve. Personally I would wait until you have been to the course, where they will advise. Otherwise you could be purchasing those which are of no use to you.

I hope some of this is a help to you. Although I have been carving for some years,
off and on I am only an amateur, to have lessons at the beginning, IMO is the right way to start.
I unfortunately was always too busy big-wheeling down the road to feed the family to have the time. Now as I am retired and have the time, my health is an issue.
The moral there is don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can do today.

I wish you the best of luck. For it is a wonderfully satisfying way of working with wood.
Kind regards.
Trev

Back