USB socket advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am planning to add 2 additional twin plug sockets in my garage and thought it would be a good idea for 1 of the plug sockets to include USB A and C charger built in , does anyone have any recommendations of type and make to buy?

Thanks for your help.

You might be better just having a double wall socket that is for pluging in any chargers rather than trying to have a direct USB charging port, often the charger supplied with a product is better.

If you want to go down the wall charging direction then this provides the USB charging but is not metal clad

https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/2-ga...e-moulded-square-edge-plate-bg-nexus-922uac30
The metal clad range tend to be just type A

https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/meta...mc522u?search=metal clad usb&description=true

It looks like there is something wrong with the site as I post this - looks like a missing style sheet - so I hope you are able to read this.

I would tend to agree with Spectric. For one thing it is an always-on parasitic power drain built into the socket itself. Also USB is becoming increasingly complex with myriad connectors, cables, power ratings and voltages. I don't think any of the integrated sockets will charge a USB-C laptop at all for example, and charging even a smartphone on many will be painfully slow - I can't rely on my phone being charged up even overnight if it is on the wrong charger. If it's like that now what will it be like in 15, 20 or 30 years time, or however long you expect a socket to last?

I've put a couple with the type A sockets in my workshop. I find them useful for charging my phone and espcially as a power supply for led strip lighting. They are usual as it means that low voltage items aren't taking up a socket that might be needed for something else.
I doubt recall what make I bought and I have no idea how to guage if one is any better than another. Probably Lap as I've had good experience with their products before.

I agree with the comments about not using a socket just for a usb charger, several of my lights I use around my lathe are usb charged. So I have a couple of double sockets with usb A built in. I do have a usb C socket in the kitchen and this does charge my iPad with no problem.
You need to check what current they deliver, as this split between each usb socket. The usb c sockets are usually higher currents than usb a. The down side is a good quality one is not cheap, there has been some negative reviews about cheap ones the are noisy and not long lasting.

Hello All,

I am planning to add 2 additional twin plug sockets in my garage and thought it would be a good idea for 1 of the plug sockets to include USB A and C charger built in , does anyone have any recommendations of type and make to buy?

Thanks for your help.
I installed twin sockets with twin usb outlets several years ago in kitchen, bedrooms, living rooms, workshop. I get the cheapest from Toolstation, never a problem charging anything, laptops, tablets, phones, torches etc.

I've tried them, you can always use usb to usb c adapter cables. But I found that I could never get them to fast charge on kit with fast charging built in.
The ones that can handle bigger charge outputs are much more expensive.
Also before you fit one, check the depth of your back box, a shallow box may not accept them.

And some give funny readings on an MFT when checking IR readings on a FRC.

Sorry forgot I was on a woodworking forum, MFT = Multi function tester, a professional tester used by electricians, IR = Insulation resistance, FRC = Final ring circuit, used to be called a Ring Main.

Last edited:
There are pretty good adapter plugs which incorporate a couple of (sometimes more...) usb ports and include a pass through13mp socket. Prefer those as they're portable and if the usb side fails you can always get another?

The power o/p of sockets with usb ports seems usually to be pretty low whereas for some of the pass through adapters it's a little higher?
The big river company usually has a selection of these adapters; and of course the dreaded eB site...

I agree they don't fast charge but (and I may be wrong) I prefer a slower charge for battery life. Ok sometimes I may want a fast charge but rarely. My phone has adaptive charging... It gets to know my charging routine and any alarms and will slow charge using all the time "Your phone will be charged by 7am" ect. It really does work and my phone keeps a really good level of charge.

Latest posts

Back