wood burrs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artman121

Reaction score
Hi all,

im a newbie wood turner and was wondering where can i buy wood burs from ? and also can any body advise me on sharpening my chisels ?
what do i need to buy to sharpen them.

many thanks

mark.

Sorry Mark - if you're a newbie and asking about advice on sharpening your tools, stay away from difficult woods like burrs - you'll waste your money and break your heart.

As for sharpening - a basic bench grinder is the minimum, depending on your budget you could end up spending more than you probably have on your lathe on sharpening setups and wetstones. Do a search on sharpening systems - that'll give you some info'.

Chris.

+1 re burrs. You need at least the basics with regular timber first.
When you fancy tackling one, timber suppliers sometimes have them, but they can be dear. Old-school woodyards tends to be a better bet, or indeed a friendly tree surgeon.

For sharpening the best way imho is to learn on a grinder by hand.
After you have the basics you can use a jig for speed, but it's a very handy skill to have (and one i've still not fully mastered!).
Main sharpening tip is keep your tools sharp at all times!
Also worth knowing that new tools don't come properly sharpened....

Hi Mark, I agree with the other guys about the burrs, lovely bits of wood but can be difficult to turn. Where abouts in Narfark are you? I live just outside Beccles on Norfolk/Suffolk border, your welcome to pop over and and see my set up and i'll help you out where ever i can, there is a local club here in Beccles which i attend, another good club in Norwich where im on the committee, one at Martham, another at Beetley, Wymondham club has just closed and some of the members have joined Norwich, so lots of places around, all will give help and advise freely, and a great place to meet other turners, some probably very local to you. Pm if you like and i'll give you my number. Darren

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies iv'e checked out the sharpening grinders and some are more than my lathe :cry: so i'll just get one for learning on now,and darren i'll try and get over soon thanks for the advice.

mark.

Latest posts

Back