Wondering what a shop expects an employee to show up with

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinDoctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Will be moving to UK in 10 days. My dilema is it looks like I'll find work pretty easy but I have every hand tool under the sun, but most of it will be taking the slow boat. So to hit the ground running and pack the essencial in my checked luggage, what do employers in furniture/cabinet making shops expect some one to show up with. Just a general idea is all I'm looking for.

What hand tools do you need to make things? Chisels, mallet, screwdrivers, awls, hand planes, cordless drill?

As a rule of thumb, if you are employed directly (PAYE) then you should only need to provide hand tools at most. Power tools and large items like sash clamps should be provided.

Woodmonkey":32pj9tu0 said:
Actually if you are PAYE then ALL tools should be provided, including ppe

It never works like that though, does it? Apart from PPE, even as a contractor your employer has a legal obligation to provide adequate PPE.

Alexam":2trswsf8 said:
Should be time to ask your employer and get it right first time?

Alex

I've worked in 3 countries and far too many wood shops and they all have a different ideas as to what an employee needs to show up with. I have to put the tools in my checked luggage so I need to get a basic idea as to what I can expect as I've got a very small weight restriction... The rest of the tools will come by boat which will take about 3 months. I don't think most employees or the employer would be too happy to lend me tools for 3 months while I wait for mine to show up.

I guess you could take a look at some of the UK tools websites and get an idea for the price of things and, if possible, allow yourself a bit of a budget for buying any tools that you need until yours arrive.

Here's a couple of examples:

Toolstation
Screwfix
Axminster Power tools

Perhaps some people here could chip in with some more (better) ideas.

I would bring those tools that you your self would prefer not to lend out to an unknown fellow worker, other than that it really depends on where you end up working and what your making.

nanscombe":21bb031c said:
I guess you could take a look at some of the UK tools websites and get an idea for the price of things and, if possible, allow yourself a bit of a budget for buying any tools that you need until yours arrive.

Here's a couple of examples:

Toolstation
Screwfix
Axminster Power tools

Perhaps some people here could chip in with some more (better) ideas.

Thx for that. Had a bit of a look at the cordless drills. Won't be bringing one from Aus for shop safety reasons so I guess I'll just have to buy one of those panasonic kits that come with a combi and impact drill. Packing, a veritas jack rabbit plane, veritas block plane, set of chisels, hammer, rubber mallet, tool belt, ear protectors, and a few other sundry tools...

The crate I've just made is just under a cubic meter and probably weighs in excess of 400kg, most everything in it is either iron or steel... Glad shipping by sea is only by volume and not weight.

From our perspective we supply all PPE, power tools, cramps.

Basic hand tools are expected like hammer, saw, chisels, plane, screwdrivers and a drill driver.

If I read it right your question is specifically about bench work not site work, and cabinet making not joinery.

There's no fixed list but I'd want to have my own Personal Protective Equipment, including steel toe cap boots, but it would all have to be of an appropriate standard to meet safety regulations. In terms of tools I'd have measuring and marking out tools (I don't know where you're coming from but every UK workshop I've been in has fully converted to metric), one or two bench planes, a shoulder plane, a block plane, scrapers, chisels, a dovetail saw, a fret saw, and a basic assortment of the smaller bits and pieces.

It's not that these items won't be available, but the shared tools in a workshop aren't generally that great or well looked after, and I wouldn't want to spend the first few days struggling with sub standard or unfamiliar tools. Plus, I kind of prefer my dust mask and boots!

I'd expect all portable power tools to be supplied, but having said that it's pretty common for people to have their own routers, although they'd need to be compatible with whatever dust extraction is used in the workshop.

I find when I am helping the students in my workshop I like to use my own kit, they all have the same tool kit so I know they should all be a on a level playing field with me but my own tools just feel right to me. The students do use my more special kit which I am happy for them to experience but I am aways hoping my DT saw comes back to my bench in the condition it left.

I have a mate who employs 11 makers and they all use the workshops kit including hand tools, I was really surprised when he came to me to buy a set of AI for his Forman who had been with him twenty years without his own chisel! He told me he doesn't like the guys to have their own tools as he feels they are less likely to move on if the have to buy all their own tools. This is the only time I have ever herd this but it works for him.

Most workshops would expect you to have a basic tool kit but this depends on what sort of work you are doing. You may find some stuff on our special offers page but hopefully you can wait for your own to turn up!

Best of luck with the new job Peter

Back