Woden 189/1 vice Not closing. Is jumping out.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodkirk

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here. I have purchased a Woden ideal 189/1 off a local online auction website. It doesn't let me wind much tension on the jaws before it jumps out. I cleaned the half nut thread out as it did have a bit of wood and old dry grease built up but it made no difference. When I push the half nut up to the screw while tightening the vice it does let me get more tension on it but it does eventually bounce out.

Attachments

• 1908489210.jpeg
    1908489210.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1908488709.jpeg
    1908488709.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1908488748.jpeg
    1908488748.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1908488813.jpeg
    1908488813.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 0
I have one of those and I stuffed washers under the thingy to get it to engage, then I went and got a Record vice and replaced it.
Hi Adam thank you for your reply, is this between the housing and the half nut? I also own an old record 53 that also jumps out but the wider I open it and the wide i clamp the better it is and I suspect the screw has worn out too much when fully closed.

Attachments

• 20230202_085025.jpg
    20230202_085025.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Hi Adam thank you for your reply, is this between the housing and the half nut? I also own an old record 53 that also jumps out but the wider I open it and the wide i clamp the better it is and I suspect the screw has worn out too much when fully closed.
That's right, it stopped it from having the possibility of jumping out, but also stopped the quick release sliding action, so it had to be wound out and in instead.

I might still have it and I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if I do.

That's right, it stopped it from having the possibility of jumping out, but also stopped the quick release sliding action, so it had to be wound out and in instead.

I might still have it and I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if I do.
Thanks Adam, I don't mind if the QR doesn't work I could live with that. Did you remove the half nut to put the washers in there? I presume the washer holding it on at the bottom comes off if I clamp the gap up?

Yes, but I took it apart and placed the spigot through the washers and back into the housing, so it sat in place properly.

I think it wears because of the way the block catches the thread when it slides out and in.

Nothing looks bent out of shape, and the thread seems good. I'd suggest a look into the QR system. I haven't a clue how that one would engage/disengage. Maybe check if there is a spring that is a bit weak keeping the bar in place or if you can force the handle into a different position. Option B is as Adam says, just shim the half nut into a fixed position engaging the thread.

Back