wizer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Am I seeing things right, or did Jim just refer to himself as an expert? :lol: :lol:

Being home is a bit strange. You don't realise how 'safe' you are in the hospital. Before I came home I just thought being at home would be the same as sitting in the hospital bed. But there's so many more risks here that I have to be careful of. We all need to learn that I'm still a 'patient' and not daddy or husband for a bit.

Stitches out tomorrow :sick: 8-[

I'll pass John, I need to save my strength for lumping in a new TS.... :shock:

wizer":116ohht3 said:
. Am I seeing things right, or did Jim just refer to himself as an expert? :lol: :lol:
[

I see they did not fix your lip, you young whippersnapper!

Its all relative - compared with 95% here, then no.
Compared to you..................... :wink:

Stitches won't hurt - just check they don't pull the knot through the hole.

It's 2nd on my list Ian. I want to prep my new chisels first and then it's on to a bit of FP. Both can be done sitting for short periods at the dining table. ;)

Ok so a little story of events, if you're interested:

When I came around from the anaesthesia in the recovery room, I was surprised to be in a lot of pain. The nurses seemed surprised also and put me on a self controlled morphine drip. I had a plunger that I could give myself a shot every 5mins. After about an hour I got very good at counting down from 300, despite being away with the fairy's ;) I also needed to pee immediately after I woke up, even tho i'd been nil by mouth for over 16hrs. They gave be a bottle and left me to it but I couldn't go. I'd remembered Ray's (Argee) ordeal with his hip, so I wasn't going to drink anything through fear of having to have a catheter. That night after parents and wifey went home, I decided I'd try again. The nurse brought me a bottle and disappeared. I thought I'd have more luck if I sat up and on the edge of the bed. It must have been a good 20mins before I decided it was time to give up. When I put my hand down the bed was wet. I fumbled for the nurse call thing that has a light switch on it. When the light went on, I'd knocked out one of the lines going into my arm. The bed was a lovely shade of claret. I managed to press the nurse call button before I fainted :oops: The nurses cleaned me up and managed to change the bed with me in it. With the knowledge that Ray gave about the anaesthesia making you retain urine, I asked for a catheter. I wish I hadn't! It took three nurses and finally an on call doctor to get it in! :shock: Very painful experience. Tho once it was in I was glad of it. Somehow I managed to fill 2 bags that night. God knows where all the liquid came from. I suspect the painkillers over the last few years have given me urine retention without me realising it. Taking it out was almost as painful and the next 24hrs was incredibly painful to pass anything.

It was the stronger drugs that kept me in there a bit longer than planned. They wanted to monitor me for 24hrs after the morphine drip came out and that happened to be Friday morning. Not much happens at the weekend so I just sat there bored as hell, listening to the many unique culture clashes that happen in hospital. Makes you wonder how people evolved when communication is obviously not a strong skill we naturally have.

That said, all in all the hospital was quite good. The nurses were mostly kind and competent and things got done when they said they'd do them. The food was decidedly average but edible. The hospital was in the heart of London's curry district and I was very tempted to have curry shipped in daily ;) No TV's or Phones by the beds in any wards, which was a major shock. It surprises me because I'm sure the hospital earn money out of them? There wasn't even tea and coffee machines. Very Odd. One major cock up was my discharge that took 7hrs, with 3 of them sat in a chair waiting for my prescription to turn up.

That's strange wizer, I've had literally dozens of catheters as a result of my prostate op and no pain with either insertion or removal. But the anathaesia bit, oh yes!

Roy.

:sick: :sick:

Hope you are a bit less sore

Mind you it was only a thin tube - they stuck a bluddy camera :shock: up mine :lol:

SWMBO came in with me (she is a nurse) and I still get ribbed about how much "I" had shrunk whilst it was being threaded up :lol:
fear is a strange thing :wink:

Digit":e37uvtkt said:
That's strange wizer, I've had literally dozens of catheters as a result of my prostate op and no pain with either insertion or removal. But the anathaesia bit, oh yes!

Roy.

It's weird Roy. I guess I have a very strong sphincter ;)

lurker":3eg05tm6 said:
Mind you it was only a thin tube - they stuck a bluddy camera :shock: up mine :lol:

I've had that Jim, which is why I knew the catheter was going to be a problem. That time, the doctor literally jammed it in like he was stabbing me. It took four nurses to hold me down (which is lucky because I'd have ripped his head off).

In the end, with the catheter, I had to just force myself to relax and then tell him to jam it in. Which worked first time but had me scream the place down :lol: Luckily that night I was in a room on my own.

wizer":35dvpk38 said:
Digit":35dvpk38 said:

Roy.

It's weird Roy. I guess I have a very strong sphincter ;)

:-k Maybe the end of the tube wasn't chamfered :lol:

they stuck a bluddy camera Shocked up mine
And that bloody hurts!
I was given a choice, have it done now or come back in a week and have a general anaesthetic.
In view of the four hour round trip I decided to play the hero!
Tears to your eyes job!

Roy.

It's weird Roy. I guess I have a very strong sphincter

No wonder you had trouble, they were trying to put it in the wrong place. :p . Had a doctor try and get his finger up mine once, said "At least we know one thing you're not", after he'd given up trying.

Welcome back btw :p

Frankly I think Tom was correct, the Doc just pushed, plus the victim needs to relax as much as pos. Not always easy under the circumstances of course.

Roy.

Glad to see that you are on the mend Tom. One warning do not try to do to much to early and find yourself back in hospital. :cry:

Cheers

Mike

Hi Tom,

That catheter business. Morphine makes it hard to release urine so getting a tube past the muscles that won't relax will be difficult. When I started using morphine patches I thought I was never going to pee again but, thankfully, I did. However, even with having become used to morphine (addicted?) for 5 years I still have to 'think' at pp time. Still, not a bad price to pay to be mobile again.

I've heard (somewhere) that it can take a long time for all the effects of a general anaesthetic to wear off so be a good boy and don't do daft things.

Best Wishes for a fully successful recovery,
Brendan

Back