WiZeR Official Workshop Build Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Mark I may have to look into that. Back to work on Monday so realistically the roof could take a couple of weeks (as next weekend its Dad's 50th).

hehe cheers Byron, we won't mention mistakes today ;)

Day 6

This is actually yesterday's report as I was far too hung over this morning to do any work :roll:

Another productive day. It was decided that the roof was important, what with all the rain. So we set about getting that sorted.

DSC_0002.JPG

Managed to get the rafters on and the ply sheets up.

DSC_0004.JPG

We covered the roof with tarps but I am a little worried about the rain. We won't get to work on the roof again now until the weekend after next. The ply is WBP but i'm not sure if it will hold up unprotected for 2 weeks.

WiZer

The ply should be ok, but make sure it has dried before you put the felt on. As the tip I sent to Byron give it a good splashing with anti rot treatment about £19 from wicks for 5litres. It will protect the ply when it sweats under the felt.

Suggest you use heavy duty mineral felt not ordinary shed felt :wink:

Les

Wizer, your making good progress, a lot faster than my own build!

What size timbers are using for the roof joists?

Cheers Les, I'll give that a go.

Byron, they're 2x4's on the 4" edge. I know, I know, but we tried it out and it took both our weight standing on it without much deflection at all. I'm guessing that it wont often have that sort of weight on it.

WiZeR - as Les said,the ply will be fine - I used some 6mm WBP ply for the panel in a garden gate earlier this year,so outside and subject to rain all the time (but not immersed,obviously) and there is no sign of any deterioration of any kind.
So if it does get wet,just let it dry out and I'm sure it will be okay.

Andrew

P.S. - looking good :D ,easy to visualise the finished size now.

ok no more daily updates as I'm back to work now. I will update as and when I do any work. Feel free to fall asleep ;)

I thought i'd make a start on boarding the outside wall next to the fence. Only had a couple of hours and I was taking my time, managed to get one board fixed and another one cut.

DSC_0001.JPG

However, The sheets I am using are 12mm Sheathing Ply. I'm not keen on the quality. It's very rough and not exactly flat. I'm considering using 12mm WBP (which would mean tonight's work would have been a waste :roll: ).

What do you think guys? Stick with the Sheathing or go with WBP? There is obviously a large price difference, but it will stay within budget.

If your going for WBP why not stick the sheathing ply on the inside . To give maximum strength to the structure the ply should span as many studs as possible so laying them horizontal and off setting the vertical joints would be better if you are going to do the inside . If you are leaving it as a ply finish on the outside then laying them horizontal is going to let water in .
P.S 4x2 is fine on a pitched roof .

cheers JFC. I have 18mm WBP for the internal sheeting. The external sheeting will be covered with felt and fixed vertically.

The more I think about it the more I want to use the WBP for external sheeting. That sheathing stuff is a load of rubbish.

More cutting tonight then, if dry.

WiZer

You definitely need to use wbp on the outside, but do not waste money on felt just cover with oil base preservative.

Les

Well progress has been slow. What with last weekend being busy and lots of rain.

I did manage to get out there during the week and make a guide rail for the sheeting. This was mentioned on the forum a while ago and it jogged my memory to make one. It makes cutting the boards a doddle.

DSC_0437.JPG

I used this to cut all the external boards. It was a bit awkward fixing the boards on my own but I got there in the end.

Today I had help for a bit and we got on with fixing the last couple of external boards and then set about fixing the head posts that will go above the door. I have decided against the roller door at the front as it would mean only having 6ft headroom (i'm 6ft4). This also saves me about £500. The posts were fixed with halving joints. It was the first time i'd done this type of joint. My Dad thought it'd be a fiddle setting up the saw to do the tranching so we (he) did the first post by hand. This got good results and the first post went in well. He then had to leave and I was left to do the front one on my own. I 'fiddled' with the SCMS and got good results. It would have been much quicker if I hadn't cut the post too short! ](*,)
Luckily I had another post and quickly chopped out the rebates.

DSC_0442.JPG

So there it is. Not an emense amount of work, but its coming on slowly. Me and Dad where talking about the roof again. I think we both agree that depending on cost it would be best to get a roofer to do it (I did save £500 on the roller door). I just dont feel confident that we'd get it perfect. The corrogated roof panels are an option but it would be as expensive as employing a roofer and would stop me having roof lights. Time is also an issue and if we can get a pro in to sort this out quickly then it would be money well spent. I'm going to have a ring round for quotes this week.

Wizer

I really can't see the benefit of paying for a pro roofer, the corrugated panels only cost me about £160 all in and I doubt a roofer would charge you any less than this as he has to pay for the materials as well.

It took me no more than about 2 hours to fit - very easy! You can also get roof-lights to fit the profile of the corrugation. So these are still an option.

A roofer is going to cost a fair bit, and that £500 you saved - you could use that for something smart like a wood-stove or a decent dust-extraction unit.

I would seriously put some thought to it, after doing it myself, all future projects will see me doing the roof, it's not a hard job to get right.

Wizer , i think a man of your skills could handle the roof with ease .
You can hire a burner and use the torch on stuff . I would put aris rails along the ends and house side to lip the felt over and also grind out one of the mortar courses in the house brick work to take a lead flashing.

hmmm still mulling it over. In the meantime MarkW helped me cut the profile for the timber that connects the roof to the wall.

DSC_0450.JPG

Fits perfectly! The angles where a bit of a head scratcher but we (Mark actually) worked it out in the end.

The offcuts will also be useful on the front and back projection to stop the rain spilling over the front.

Thanks very much Mark, was great to see another workshop, tried not to be jelous of 'all that space'!

The next time I have help is this coming Sunday. We are hoping to finish the outside wall and if things go quick we may attempt the roof...... Rain forecast tho :(

WiZeR":2pkxmj2y said:
Thanks very much Mark, was great to see another workshop, tried not to be jelous of 'all that space'!

The next time I have help is this coming Sunday. We are hoping to finish the outside wall and if things go quick we may attempt the roof...... Rain forecast tho :(

You're most welcome Wizer, nice to put a face to a name (never did ask where the name comes from BTW :wink:)

Yes shame about the forecast, still they say dry on Sat and Mon so you may be lucky. In the event you don't get to the roof for a couple of weeks I may have some time to come and give you a hand.

Just one thing, your pic seems to show the edge of one of your rafters which appears to be 4x2 laid on it's side. If so, and if they're not fixed permanently, you should consider turning them on edge. Not only will they be about 4 times stronger but you'll get twice as much insulation in there. Of course there may be a good reason why they'e like that that I've missed in your thread, in which case I'll shut up ...... :whistle:

Mark

Sorry I'm a bit late on this post, but it might give food for though for anybody who's building a similar shed. You could made the roof fall from front to back. This would have allowed you to put the outside wall on the boundary and you would have had a shorter length of guttering.

Mark:

That's a kind offer mate, i'll let you know what happens on Sunday. Of course, your welcome to come and help anytime you like. ;)

I hear what your saying about the rafters. We did it that way basically for speed and ease. In terms of strength I think it is fine, it took 2 of us walking around up there with virtually no deflection. I dont think that the odd snow fall will really be a problem. The insulation is a good point that I hadn't considered. Not sure what i'll do. Certainly turning them on end will mean knocking them back out (they're nailed). Then I imagine they're going to be too short after the birdsmouth has been cut. Ordering more timber will be a pain. I'm not dissmissing it tho, will chew it over.

Shultzy:

Good point, I did consider it. But we (the Mrs) deemed it to be an ugly solution. Still, no going back now. ;)

Mini Update:

Sunday was prety much a wash out! :(

I got up early and managed to install the frame (jamb?) around the door ways. When Dad arrived it was 'spitting'. We went round to the neighbours side, took out the fence panels and as we got the last one out the rain started to pour. We where feeling brave so we staightened up the wall boards and put proper fixings in to make it secure, but by the time we'd done this the rain was so heavy that to continue would have been bonkers. We waited an hour for the rain to stop, but it didnt and we wrote the day off. It continued to rain all day.

So a bit depressing really. Have to wait til next Saturday now and hope the weather is on our side.

Note to self: Never build a workshop in October.

WiZeR":3ojbz464 said:
Note to self: Never build a workshop in October.

Mine's brick,and built in January/February 2005
Wouldn't recommend building one then,either :( (that cold,some days I had to wait for it to get above +4 to be able to lay any bricks)

Andrew

Latest posts

Back