Wixey's digital callipers with imperial fractions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
There's a thread in Jigs & Tips at the moment about metric versus imperial. I really don't want to start another one, but stupidly I didn't Google before posting there that I couldn't find callipers with a fractional readout (in inches).

It seems that Wixey now do one: http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/6-inch-imperial-digital-calipers-with-fractions.html.

Can any owner of same say if it's as good as it looks? If so' I'm going to be a customer very shortly!

E.

Interesting. Not a bad price either - competetive.

I'll agree that an imperial caliper is very useful if you use old-style hand tools, chisel, drills etc and especially veneers.

All digital calipers display Imperial measure as a decimal fraction and I always found that I needed a caliper that gave old-fashioned eighths, sixteenths , thirthyseconds etc. just for the ease of use.

Never did find a digital one and all the imperial dial calipers are engineering tools and so display decimal only but I picked up a dial version made by BATY that measures down to 64ths (as well as thou). It's surprisingly accurate, especially as it's made of plastic!

It was marked as originally sold by RS Components and I got it for 99p on ebay about 5 years ago; they must be out there, but I have not seen one since......

Latest posts

Back