Kreg Shelf Pin Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these a little while back, the metric version with 5mm bit and a load of 5mm shelf pins. After drilling a whole load of holes I was a bit disappointed to find the holes were a fraction too big for the pins so they kept falling out. I assumed it was me doing something wrong so popped the jig in a drawer and promptly forgot about it.

Last month I started building a cabinet that would require a shelf so dug out the jig. Before ploughing ahead, I tested the jig on a piece of scrap. I clamped everything down to make sure nothing moved and kept the drill as perpendicular as was humanly possible to do but still the hole was a bit too big. Since buying the jig I've gone on to buy some digital calipers so I measured the whole hole and it was a shade over 6mm, nearer to the imperial 1/4" model. As a check, I drilled another hole with a known 5mm bit et voila, pins fit as they should. I checked the packaging which did clearly state it came with a 5mm drill bit. Checking the online site I purchased mine from, I saw they - and subsequently a number of other retailers - invariably describing it as "supplied with a 5mm (1/4") bit". I found some sites listing just the drill bit, similarly described. Now to me, 5mm is NOT 1/4", in this context not even close. So I contacted Kreg, explained the situation and asked confirmation of part number for the 5mm drill bit to ensure I didn't end up with another clearly 1/4" bit. Today UPS delivered a genuine Kreg 5mm bit all the way from the States with an apology for the inconvenience of receiving the wrong bit in the first place. Say what you like about the Americans but you can't fault their customer service.

And I've now tried the bit, definitely 5mm, pins fit great! So huge well done to Kreg.

Thanks for sharing, I've been looking at that jig just last night on amazon.

pike":3jix24ne said:
Thanks for sharing, I've been looking at that jig just last night on amazon.

Pleasure. We're quick to gripe when we experience shoddy service so thought I'd pay credit where it's due.

mine was ok out the box and i find the holes can even be a tad tight but expect this is down to the small variances in some of the pins i have bought. My only grudge with the whole thing is fence and the fact it does not confrom with the usual 32mm system layout but for the odd cabinet which is all i really do it is fine and good value for money compared to other options.

Petey83":3e2p0l77 said:
mine was ok out the box and i find the holes can even be a tad tight but expect this is down to the small variances in some of the pins i have bought. My only grudge with the whole thing is fence and the fact it does not confrom with the usual 32mm system layout but for the odd cabinet which is all i really do it is fine and good value for money compared to other options.

I've seen somewhere that someone added an auxiliary fence (flush with the edge) to their Kreg jig so the holes were 37mm from the inside of the fence.
But I agree that I don't know why it wasn't manufactured like that anyway?
However I still do rate the jig both for cost and for simplicity in use.
My only gripe has been using the jig on MFC where I encountered some surface chipping around some of the holes, and perhaps that would not of happened if using a router and dedicated hole jig.

Attachments

• Kreg L32.JPG
    Kreg L32.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,140
Back