witch Budget Biscuit Jointer ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a cheap unit (long time ago Ferm) and it was inaccurate out of the box due to slop in the guides so I rarely used it. I then bought a Dewalt and I was a bit disappointed with that until I found that there is adjustment and it now works great. I use it mostly for alignment making built in cabinets as I believe biscuits don’t really add any strength.

IMHO your choice is a cheapie, then de Walt, then a Domino.

I had a Silverline cheap model, worked ok, I was probably lucky it had good tolerances. I looked at upgrading to a de Walt, but skipped the step and went to the Domino. (They were a bit cheaper then).

It sounds like the Erbauer is probably between the Silverline/equivalents and the de Walt now.

I have the Ferm SBJ-710 ,good solid machine everything works as it should and i have never had any issues with accuracy and the guides lock down tightly. Not the Roll Royce of biscuit jointer's but it does all that i need it too .

Assuming you have a 1/2” router already .. have you considering a biscuit jointer cutter? If you have half decent “fine adjustment” on your router, then you might find that it suffices.
In any event, save up for something of a better quality.
In my opinion, some tools you can get away with buying cheap (hand drills, sanders), although they won’t be a pleasure to use, whereas anything that realise on high levels of accuracy ..you are better off saving up those pennies!

Attachments

• BDD0753F-BA2F-4F51-A07A-29D39537464F.jpeg
    BDD0753F-BA2F-4F51-A07A-29D39537464F.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
Good point. I don't think the fine adjustment matters too much, though, so long as the setting doesn't drift in use. I used a slot cutter for quite a while, it works perfectly well but of course the radius is smaller and has to be allowed for. A 1/2" arbor would give a lot more scope for future use, assuming a 1/2" router, of course.

I bought a SIP and it works surprisingly well. I don’t use it often but it’s there when I need it.

I think it was only £60-70 new when I bought it years ago.

I bought a SIP and it works surprisingly well. I don’t use it often but it’s there when I need it.

I think it was only £60-70 new when I bought it years ago.

My first biscuit jointer was a Performance Power from B&Q, absolute pants. It didn't cut parallel and the fence drifted no matter how tightly you locked it down.

Since that experience I have bought nothing but professional grade tools and have not regretted any of my purchases.

I bought my Lamello Top in the early 80's and used it yesterday. Still is as good now as it was when I bought it. I also bought the dust hose attachment for it then and even though I occasionally step on it the plastic hose more than I want to admit to it returns to normal. Pretty good for 40 year old hose. If you can find a used one you should seriously think about getting it. Otherwise I would skip the bottom dwellers and look at the midrange machines like the Makita.

Pete

Latest posts

Back