witch Budget Biscuit Jointer ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roboboyo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
hi guys, im in the market for a biscuit jointer (on a serious budget) ive narrowed it down to a few but dont know what to go for

draper, sip, einhell, silverline, porter cable etc etc

anyone with any advice on any of the above products??

cheers guys

My first biscuit jointer was a Clarke but I binned it after the fence kept slipping when in use, I replaced it with a second-hand Freud which is great even though it only gets occasional use now.

What exactly is your budget ?

The cheap ones will likely suffer from accuracy issues, which is pretty much why they are cheap. No attention to detail.

I'd opt for a 2nd hand via ebay.

I bought a FERM model from screwfix years ago and was very pleasantly suprised at the qual.....
still using it after 25 years....
had planed to trade up but why bother.....the guide /fence has never moved once.....
No idea on qual of this modern carp.....
shame Lidil's dont sell one, u could always take it back....
it's a very simple tool.....
just to add......
Did look at the big Festool fancy dowel machine but not at that price esp biscuits are good enough.....
this should make some feathers fly.....hahaha....
when I watch the odd utoob vid, if it's full of festering tools I turn it off.....
I do have their prof jigsaw, only coz it will go thru a kitchen counter top without a starter hole....

I bought a new “lamello classic “ Swiss made some years back. Supposedly it had a really good name at the time I bought it. “Rubbish“ the fence moves and as a result it’s a real Pain to use because its just not reliable without using a second independent clamp that gets in the way. Just to be clear it’s that part of the fence that controls the depth of cut NOT the angle (rarely have need for that).

I have looked at ways to re- engineer the fence but one locking lever on one side trying to fix two relatively large smooth surfaces and resist some downward pressure ! Not obvious.
I have done a full days work with a Festool jointer - no problem at all but like most people I can’t justify the cost for occasional use .

Secondhand Lamello, might as well go for the best. Last time I spoke with them, they told me they support all models ever made. They Seem to pop up regularly as people I think abandon them for a Domino. I have had no issues with the fence, locks rock solid.
I bought one secondhand, lovely machine.

Secondhand Lamello, might as well go for the best. Last time I spoke with them, they told me they support all models ever made. They Seem to pop up regularly as people I think abandon them for a Domino. I have had no issues with the fence, locks rock solid.
How much work are you expecting it to do. I've had the Freud one from Screwfix for ages. BUT it doesn't do a lot of work at all
Morning Deema
I went into some detail to explain to R why the lamello CLASSIC is rubbish for you to say yours is fine doesn’t help anyone !
Perhaps you could at least explain if yours is the same model and maybe a pic of how your fence differs. If no one else is interested I would like to know how they have modified the fence design and lets be clear it is the fence design that makes or breaks these particular tools.

Sorry, It’s a later Top 10 version. To the best of my knowledge the parts are interchangeable for the fence. If your having problems give Lamello a shout, I’ve always found them extremely friendly and helpful; regardless of warranty periods.

I had an Erbauer from SF, which did me well. I recently sold it as I no longer had work for it. I could joint 12mm ply with it.

Sorry, It’s a later Top 10 version. To the best of my knowledge the parts are interchangeable for the fence. If your having problems give Lamello a shout, I’ve always found them extremely friendly and helpful; regardless of warranty periods.
Cheers- thank you now that’s something I at least can work with.
I will take up your advice, the fence has been the Bain of my life.

I have a Lamello top 10. Precision machined and a pleasure to use. Even minor problems with the fence will be maddening so I would look for a second hand Lamello. Dust extraction is also vital to clear the machine as you work.

I would second the Dewalt, well built trade tool that works well if you are using biscuits. I am now trying 6mm dowels, many people say the strength is in the actual butt joint and not the biscuits which are just to get alignment so biscuits or dowels will make no odds.

I bought the erbauer from screwfix, and had assumed that I might go on to upgrade it but have had no reason to. I like using it, it feels good in the hand and is as accurate (square) as it is possible for me to measure. Quite a noisy tool, but you are usually only using it in short bursts.
It is corded though, if that is a consideration but for under £65 (just) it represents excellent value. Buying new also gives you the full guarantee.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-ebj860-860w-electric-biscuit-jointer-220-240v/341fx

Back