WIP Roubo: Finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wcndave thanks although there are plenty of mistakes in mine. Would not put in a tool well if I could redo it. I think the split top Roubo design much more useful. The tool well collects dust/shavings and doesn't add much in my opinion.

Too early to say how much use the deadman will get but having spent too long looking at benches in books and online I really liked the look of them and given that the workshop is a bit of a haven from the outside world. enjoying being at the bench is a big rationale for the build in the first place.

I have the veritas holdfast you pictured and really like it.

I was looking again at yours, and realised a traditional holdfast won't go in your deadman cos of the cupboards behind it!

No but am toying with putting some round dog holes in the table top so I can use regular holdfasts on there. Not fully decided yet.

Next project is a Maloof style low back chair and then a tool cabinet for the wall. Should keep me busy for quite a while.

You in Italy? Nice

Looking in my cupboard I can only find boiled linseed oil. I've seen polymerized mentioned, any reason not to use boiled?

To expand on my previous comment, I am wanting to finish the top of the Roubo so I can start to use it without getting it dirty.

I've seen oil / varnish blends used, polymerised linseed oil, danish oil etc... however all I have is some pure boiled linseed oil.

Is this a suitable finish? I tried a small test piece and it does yellow somewhat..

I think the best finish is no finish. I used to have an oil finish on my workbench but I planed it off over time when I periodically flatten it. I prefer it raw. I don't see how an oil finish will keep it any cleaner than no finish.

I know what you mean, however I will probably flatten it every 5 years, so don't mind a coat of oil then.

It does look nice raw, however if I put a sumdgy finger on it, it won't come off. glue spills, other liquids, eg spraying wood to raise grain, sharpening oils etc... I kind of feel better with a protective coat which means I can give it a wipe.

So I mixed some penetrative oil varnish with boiled linseed oil. Getting all around the bench and legs was a challenge but I think I got it all.

fa45a0381e8903a4282bd9964d282806.jpg

3bfd82d5ffd02d173b923f9d638d3583.jpg

More progress and photos, there's pressure to get back to doing the kitchen, so being working quite hard on it!

Firstly some that come before the last photos, this is during hand planing the top to mostly pretty quite flat... not perfect, but definitely good enough, and no lip from front to back slab.

dGT5KbW.jpg

Gyxo4s3.jpg

aBSGu40.jpg

iTXduDu.jpg

g2OAEGV.jpg

Then the old bench, just to remind me what it was like... I actually cut the legs down 5" and gave it to my kids, vice included. Were they grateful! nope, they just started fighting over who got access to the vice!

mXgv24w.jpg

ePzPmaW.jpg

Leg vice was nice, as in tricky. First a 70mm hole in 50mm wood... used two plastic pattern jigs and a bushing guide to cut the first 40mm or so.

2HJ7R88.jpg

Then turned it upside down, and used a 1/2" patter bit to finish. Turned out well.

m3mzMTx.jpg

Then the relief curves on the leg vice. Found a spokeshave best for this, took a while mind you.

mA0nJ60.jpg

I tapped for M6 screws for the screw garter.

Fitting was a bit tricky, the distance between holes, plus the angle on the pin, fitting of the garter etc, plus other various slight errors made it tough, and it has to be quite precise.

LNJNT4D.jpg

First I had larger angle at the top instead of bottom.

3GaU84k.jpg

But after a lot of faffing, I got the angle, and the distance correct, and with some wax on the wooden thread, it goes on nicely. Really tight, no pin to insert at the bottom, and a very large capacity.

The action is extremely smooth until I tighten the garter to the vice, however it's smooth enough for easy use. The leg angles out slightly at the top, until it goes tight, and then goes straight. I notice that if you tighten more, it goes in at the bottom, however I will put it to use for a while before any final finessing.

Then I finished the leg vice with the oil / varnish mix, and did the second (and last) coat on the bench.

zafdcXz.jpg

9cJLRXA.jpg

When the oil has dried off, I shall fit it together.

At that point I will call it done for now.

I still need to do the sliding deadman, although I can't see it getting loads of use, so leaving for now.
Also the centre divider, which again I don't need right now, although I already find the gap useful for clamps.
Round dogholes in the front and back slabs also need to be done, however I have no holdfasts, and with the tragic death of Richard Tomes, I will wait on that and see if anything crops up. Workshop Heaven have some I might go for, but not important right now.
I have grooves ready for a lower shelf, however I don't need the storage, so will also leave for now, I like to get under to fit clamps and sweep (not that you'd tell from pictures)
Also need to attach the leather to the insides of the vice, which I am going to go and do right now!

I will shortly be able to use the bench full on, and it will never look the same again!

It's been one hell of a journey, and SWMBO does not understand why I went on it, expensive and time consuming, however ultimately worth it for a once in a lifetime trip!

The bench looks great and will last for generations, good work.

Back