WIP: Dovetailed Stationary Box (Completed)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm slowly working my way into the shed of the house I'm currently living in..... (It's not my house!) So I'm glad to say I do now have a covered sorta workshop. No electric, but thats okay as I dont have any room for much more than my hand tools anyway! Only problem will be the winter with the dark days and early dusks.... I'll worry about that if I really have to!

Anyway, just a quick text update..... Went down to the shed and unclamped the box. Had a quick inspection and everything look alright to continue working away on it. Following my question on how to trim my tennons flush I can see why a block plane is no good now! Nothing to run on and its just too big to trim such a small joint. So, then I thought I'd have a go parring away with a chisel..... Maybe I should have sharpened it up and might have got better results.... Nothing went wrong though, just didn't feel right for me. So in my good old-fashioned ways which go back to my first work place (2003) :lol: I got my tennon saw and very carefully trimmed the joint closer to the box sides, and then finished off rubbing down with a 60grit sanding block. I got all the joints nice and flush with 60grit. And I'm going to admit now that some of the joints have very slight gaps, so I used my sanding dust and wood glue to mix up some "special filler" :mrgreen: and just filled in some of the slight gaps that were there. It will now go off overnight, and hopefully tomorrow I'll find the time to sand up with 100 & 150grits and all the joints will look fantastic.... I hopes! #-o

Pictures to come once I am at the sanding point...

Cleaning Up

Right, well after the glue had well and truly set about 2 days later! I tried various techniques to get my dovetails flush, first I tried with a block plane which ended very shortly! Secondly tried parring away with a chisel.... And finally, just did it the way I would have done if I was making a door and wanted to get the tennons & wedges flush with the stile, and that is to saw flushish and then sand away. This worked pretty well, although the sanding flush bit took a bit of work using only a block with sandpaper on. I did use 60grit though, which helped. Once I'd got the joints flush i gave the whole box a quick 60 grit sand and use the dust gathered to make a filler, mixing it up with some wood glue. I just rubbed this into any of my "slightly off" joints, I allowed 24 hours for it to dry properly.

Then I came back to it today, rubbed off all my filler using 60 grit again as it sets pretty hard! Then worked my way thru with 100 grit first and 150 grit to finish. The box is now ready for its lid to be cut to size on the table saw, so I'll try and get that done tomorrow at work and if I have the time I'll router the 45 degree chamfer onto the top that I want. For now though, here's my pictures of the finished bottom and sides, as you can see I tried to match the grain up on the sides. Once again I really must apoligise at this stage for the poor camera of my mobile phone and really wished I'd had the digital camera to hand as it would have done me more justice. I promise that once the project is done it will be photographed using my high quality digital camera.

Image0191.jpg

Image0193.jpg

Image0195.jpg

Image0197.jpg

Right then, finally it's finished for its tight deadline of end of the month! And I must say I really quite pleased with the result, even though I'm having to make do with only a B&D work bench!

I hope you've enjoyed looking at the work-in-progress pics and now here's the finale (in high quality resolution too! :lol: )
The hinges are from Screwfix and the catch was supplied by forum member gwaithcoed aka Alan, as a goodwill gesture so once again thankyou very much! The engraving was done by a local engraving company.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking for me and please let me know what you think! :?

DSCF0852.JPG

DSCF0853.JPG

DSCF0858.JPG

EDIT: Engraving can be seen in Full-Size image here: http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork/oakboxwips/DSCF0858.JPG
DSCF0863.JPG

DSCF0870.JPG

DSCF0873.JPG

Thanks for looking at my WIP.

(Final pictures will not be up on my website for about 2 weeks yet as the recipient of this gift may look there and the suprise would be ruined)

Nice looking box there Simon :wink: Think i'd have been tempted to add a little colour to the lettering, just to make it a little more obvious.
Are the silver screws in the hinges a temporary thing, or are you gonna replace with brass to match ? The mitred dovetail joints look very posh 8)

Coley

Thanks for the compliment on the dovetails, personally I wish I could have done them better tho!

The screws in the hinges are actually also brass, and when I looked at the photos I thought exactly the same as yourself, they really look silver. It must be due to two things. 1) The cameras flash and 2) The hinges and screws are from different suppliers and maybe they used different finishing techniques, but in the flesh they do look the same.

And finally, as for the lettering being coloured.... I really did want just the natural wood look finish. I was hoping the engraving would be a little bit deeper and finer myself, orignally asking for it to be done in italics, but the engraver said with the material being wood it may break out or something....? I just took his word for it. If you look at the engraving in the photo above, in its full-size image here: http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork/oakboxwips/DSCF0858.JPG you will see it does look a bit more obvious.

mike71":115rdzsl said:
sorry but i think it looks s***

I am not one bit suprised to get a message like that from you. I have seen you around on this forum giving out your opinions where they are unwanted. Do not get me wrong I do not mind criticism, however what I do mind is when somebody like you who has time and time again given out this attitude of "I'll say what I want and not back it up" give the one sentence comment on something that I have actually worked hard on. It may not be perfect, I know but was there any need for the profanity? And surely if it is rubbish, you should say why you think it is and what YOU would have done different!

I do not know who you are, what your background is or to be quite honest what you are doing on a forum like this with that sort of attitude. But if you wish to participate in one of my topics again you want to be more polite and give your opinions more accuratley.

Just a note to everyone, not because of what this silly person has posted, but because of the general lack of interest in this work-in-progress and the time and effort it does take to upload and sort thru photos. In future I will not be posting WIPs to this forum they will only appear on my website and I'll only post the final pictures on here, wether Mike71 or any other silly person likes it or not.

BTW mike your post has been reported for profanity =D> so well done you!

joiner_sim":2zhcnetj said:
mike71":2zhcnetj said:
sorry but i think it looks s***

I am not one bit suprised to get a message like that from you. I have seen you around on this forum giving out your opinions where they are unwanted. Do not get me wrong I do not mind criticism, however what I do mind is when somebody like you who has time and time again given out this attitude of "I'll say what I want and not back it up" give the one sentence comment on something that I have actually worked hard on. It may not be perfect, I know but was there any need for the profanity? And surely if it is rubbish, you should say why you think it is and what YOU would have done different!

I do not know who you are, what your background is or to be quite honest what you are doing on a forum like this with that sort of attitude. But if you wish to participate in one of my topics again you want to be more polite and give your opinions more accuratley.

Just a note to everyone, not because of what this silly person has posted, but because of the general lack of interest in this work-in-progress and the time and effort it does take to upload and sort thru photos. In future I will not be posting WIPs to this forum they will only appear on my website and I'll only post the final pictures on here, wether Mike71 or any other silly person likes it or not.

BTW mike your post has been reported for profanity =D> so well done you!
I agree completely and utterly with Simon's post...there was absolutely no call for the egit in question to make the comment as he (or maybe she) did. I welcome comments on all the work I show on this forum, but I insist they must be backed up with justification if there are any points that are open to 'discussion'. There are issues with this piece of work that I would question, but I hope I'd never be so uncouth as to describe as it has been.
For the individual in question to make such a comment is completely unnecessary and as such I feel that that person has no place on this forum - Rob

Mr 71, he of the reasoned and polite criticism, has gone the way of many Norwegian Blues, ceased to be, expired.
He had been warned before for a similar infraction.

Don't stop posting your WIP simon, they are great. Its acts as a nice record for you as well. Apart from the ocassional fool most people want to help out and encourage.
Rich

mike71":nie8x0ei said:
sorry but i think it looks s hit

Clown !.

Simon nice work mate keep em coming I like reading and learning from your stuff.

...ignore the lowlife save your energy for what your good at

Dave

Thanks for the positive comments, I will keep posting, but as already said... I think I'll keep the WIPs exclusive to my website in future.

Russ":l118f60e said:
Like it!

Did you glue the dovetails?

Russ

I wouldn't finish off a piece without gluing up the joints. Yes, woodworking joints should be strong enough alone without glue, however, I think glue makes sure an item is going to last as long as it is physically possible to do so.

Thanks mate!

I gave the gift to my fiancee yesterday after she'd graduated, and she was over the moon with it. Only criticism was "It smells of wood!"

I guess its the danish oil.... how long does it take for the smell to wear off?

Try and get it aired a bit Sim and leave the lid off otherwise oil can leave a smell for quite a while. Or put some pot pourri type stuff in it for a bit

Back