WIP - Box for the box comp.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riclepp

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all.

Well I have started on my box. I got an 8foot board of Cherry for a sawmill that I get a lot of my timber from. The ends of the board were not in the best of conditions.

Once I have looked at the board for bad bits , I then cut it to the correct length of 5 foot by 8inches by 1 inch and marked out the components.

Compnents rough cut.

I have never done any resawing before, so I did a little practice on some sycamore (this will not be used in the comp).

Main componets dimensioned and slightly oversize to allow for hand finish planing and sanding.

Now for the real resawing of the base and lid. I don't think they came out to shabby. Sould only take a few passes in the thicknesser to sort.

And the prepaired spare bist readily dimesioned.

I now need to pay a visit to a friend to use their bandsaw to resaw the main components to the right thickness, as my bandsaw has not the height :(.

Anyways that is where I am upto at present. I sould have the drawings finished this week which I will add on here.

Thanks for looking.

Looking good Richard. Thats a nice bit of cherry.
Still haven't decided what I am going to do yet but also leaning towards a box.

rspsteve":1mfb122b said:
carlb40":1mfb122b said:
Looks good so far Richard. You will be finished in no time. :shock:

rspsteve":1mfb122b said:
Hi RIchard

Can I ask where in Essex you are and where is the local sawmill?

Good luck in the comp .

Steve
About half way down :)
dodge-s-latest-challenge-don-t-get-bored-get-a-board-t76884-15.html

Thanks Carl

Hi Steve

No problem, I live in Halstead, Essex and the saw mill details are:

Withesham Sawmills
Mow Hill
Witnesham
Ipswich
Suffolk
IP6 9EH

If you ring Karl on 07765 806606 and ask for Peter. I mainly deal with Peter he is a really helpful old soul, mind you all of them are. The yard is open Mon - Fri and on Fri they close early. They don't have a website, but if you go there you will see why they don't want one. I find them really helpfull on the whole. They do have other woods that they don't sell as they are furniture makers as well. I am not sure if they post out as I have never asked this of them, because I always go and get mine.

HTH

Melinda_dd":1tkpyw1d said:
Halstead. ... you are close to me!!!

.....now What have you got I your workshop that I can utilise! !
:lol:
A 5ft x 8 inch wide piece of cherry :lol: :lol:

Melinda_dd":2ney8udt said:

Most things, you are most welcome to come and have a looksee pm if you wish to (pretty much a full working workshop ask Dodge). I think they close early afternoon, i used to know but forgotten :)

riclepp":3gebvmfc said:
Melinda_dd":3gebvmfc said:

Most things, you are most welcome to come and have a looksee pm if you wish to (pretty much a full working workshop ask Dodge). I think they close early afternoon, i used to know but forgotten :)

Richards is definitely a full workshop Melinda - if you go round take your own floorspace :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Back