Windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been asked to make two openers for a sash window and put 4 6 4 d/g units in them not 4 16 4k . Because im not making the whole box sash just the openers am i legally allowed to do this or is it either 4mm glass or 4 16 4k ?

you could check with your local authority building control

my understanding is that a company that is FENSA approved can issue their own certificate covering the installation or you can install yourself and the local building control can issues the certificate

may be worth a ring

or from another point of view whos going to know
depends if the client is going to sell the property

I've just replaced all my windows under building notification without a problem

Andy

The property will be inspected by a DS and will be sold . I thought id ask here before contacting building control as they have to run around and try to find the bloke that actually knows the regs and it could take days to track him down !

As I understand it you can repair windows to your hearts content, it's replacing widows that fall into the FENSA regs and require building control approval.

From what I can see you are repairing these windows, so you should have no problems.

Why do you say 4 6 4 DG Isnt worth the bother , surely its better than just single glazing for warmth and sound ?

Disagree . The two layers of glass will stop the inside layer getting cold to touch .i .e a wall of cold glass . How can draughtproofing stop the glass getting cold . Are you saying all double glazed units are a waste of time or just 4 6 4 ?

Googled that and lots of rubbish . IMHO 464 is still more effective than single glazing .
Other options ............ Cavity wall insulation ? Lets invite dry rot inside eh ! And lose 30K !

jason at the risk of showing my ignorance again :lol:

double glazing is only really effective in a minimalist way, what makes modern dg work is that the windows are better sealed and fitted,
but of course in many houses the introduction of double glazing leads to
damp within the room because in older houses the air flow through the windows and their surrounds helps stop condensation building up.
remember most of our older houses were built for coal fires. :twisted:

the cost effectiveness ration for dg is not as good as say roof insulation,
and one window only is a waste of time. in the winter, often just putting
clear plastic inside is more effective than glass units.

but reading your first post again, you are repairing the windows, so surely,
all you are doing is replacing an item that is wrecked, so how you replpace it is surely what is available and convenient?????

still think dg and some of these alternative energy items are both the same type of item, overhyped, and too expensive for the return.
recent watchdog suggested a 24grand alternative system powered
only a hairdryer!!!! :roll:

go for the replacing only.

paul :wink:

Yes i can see from that double glazing isn't the most cost efficiant but it all adds up and its still better than single glazing isn't it .
Im suprised that they say don't draught proof your windows , im in and out of my front door like a yo yo . Isnt that enough to get airflow around the inside of the house ,along with air bricks etc .

Jason's replacing the windows and so I'm with him on this. Seems to me to make sense to replace the single pane with a DG unit. Not that expensive (get it from Malvern, jason, half the cost of London prices...DAMHIKT)

Depending on location, the added sound reduction is a far greater benefit IMHO

yes, but the problem is you don't have enough body weight to
shift the wind jason :lol: :twisted: :roll:

now if you added wings to your arms, then maybe :lol:

i think what jacob and i say is that dg is a fashion trend, and you
can't often get the best price for your house without it, although
it really makes little difference.

So would you go as far to say fitting double glazing to an old building is more damaging to the building than beneficial for heat and sound loss ?
If so why are the council inforcing a law that tells us to put double glazed k glass into our houses ?

i think that the councils are saying if you are going to double glaze it
has to be k glass.

since almost no body has coal fires these days, the air flow is a different thing. but we all know that these days people will block any drafts, and then complain about damp inside.

i still think your first idea was right mate, repair,and add the most effective
dg for the repair. :twisted:

Im thinking more of my own place now . Ive done internal plasterboard cladding and do have a coal fire thats a 90% heat loss according to british gas :roll: The 10% it does kick out beats any radiator but again it costs alot to run . 3 bags of coal last 2-3 weeks at £25 and 100 logs are £ dunno i burn offcuts :lol:
The windows for the front of my house have been made for about four years :oops: But the back ( a new extension) will need to have 4 16 4k according to regs . Is it wise to put 4 6 4 in the front and 4 16 4k at the back ?

Back