Windows Ten

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks running Windows 7 or 8.1 will most likely be seeing the update symbol appearing on their machines in the next few hours.

W10.jpg

Attachments

• W10.jpg
    W10.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,299
I'll be switch to 10 for the improvements in Direct X API, hopefully the Dev's make use of the new features for this years releases :D

Just checked and I got that msg. But when will it actually be available.?

I'll definitely update my 8.1 laptop, even though I'm happily using Mint dual booted. Might download onto my W7 desktop but wait to install until I've tried it, I like W7 and if it ain't broke....

I've been running the developer copy for a couple of months now. It doesn't live up to the hype at all. stick to 7 if you can guys.

the only reason MS would ever offer anything free is to get guinea pigs like us to test it for them and sort out the bugs. I'll wait until they've issued the first 10 "service packs" methinks. (hammer)

Lons":19wgr0i2 said:
the only reason MS would ever offer anything free is to get guinea pigs like us to test it for them and sort out the bugs. I'll wait until they've issued the first 10 "service packs" methinks. (hammer)

Not only that, after the poor uptake of two of the last three iterations and people and companies [including my employer] still hanging on to XP, this is an excellent way to get a very quick reported adoption rate, even if many ditch it or even download but never install. They may be hoping for a snowball effect.
The 'free' doesn't really matter to Microsoft in the long run, according to what I've read, as this may just be a platform for a new incremental, paid for, update system, with no new complete version of windows in the future, but lots of bright and shiny 'apps' that you 'just gotta have!'.

And in rant mode, why is it that free software like Linux and Open Office cater properly for regional differences by changing their default system spellings including a full British version, yet the paid for Windows assumes we should put up with US American English spellings on system controls.

Back to work.

Given that MS are also pushing Office365 - with its rent rather than buy model - Win10 just looks suspiciously like another attempt to push everyone into a software-as-a-service model where we end up unable to use our own PCs if we don't keep paying MS to use all the software that runs them. They've been trying to move to this model for years, the only thing that's new is that nearly everyone has a mobile phone these days so people are much more accustomed to the idea of buying a lump of expensive hardware that they can't use without a continuous rental fee.

monkeybiter":10laaohx said:
And in rant mode, why is it that free software like Linux and Open Office cater properly for regional differences by changing their default system spellings including a full British version, yet the paid for Windows assumes we should put up with US American English spellings on system controls.

Because open-source software is maintained by volunteers who work on the things they care about, and there are enough people who care about British English that it gets done. Whereas commercial software is written by salaried employees, and therefore everything that gets done to it has to pass a cost-benefit analysis. And there probably aren't enough people who care about proper English enough that MS would get enough new sales by supporting it to pay for the time it took to implement. I've never heard of anyone refusing to buy a copy of Windows because it spells 'colour' without the 'u' in Control Panel or only offers to 'center' your text.

I've been running Windows 10 Technical Preview in a VM (Virtual Machine).

Among the minimum requirements it is stated that you will have to have a Microsoft account & internet access. It is thus proposed that once installed, all Windows 10 updates will be mandatory. You won't be able to pick & choose or even turn them off.

I am intending to allow one desktop machine to update to Windows 10 but the others will stay on Windows 7.

I really dread any changes to computer software after all the problems that are reported every time there are changes. I have been very happy with Windows 7 Ultimate and will stick with it as long as possible.

Back