Widest P/T

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattty

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the widest single phase Planer Thicknesser, does anyone know?

I'm looking for something around 400mm wide but am struggling.

Thanks.

I would have thought all will be three phase at these widths due to the power required. You probably more realistically going to end up with an open ended drum sander to get that width. Even the smaller ones will sand boards upto 2 feet in width, two passes each way.

like this one

Dom is right, any 240V machine simply isn't going to have the guts to plane that sort of width. If you need to machine that width you really have to have 415V

If, however, it's just for finishing, then yes, a sander is a good home solution. I did a review of the Performax (which is the same as the jet) some years ago. Just search for it in Tool Reviews if it is of interest.

HTH
Steve

Dan Tovey":1ujjbbtk said:
Pinky's got a nice 24" Axminster drum sander for sale!
He will need to keep it if he wants to keep producing work like he has on his website.

I'd love a sedgewick or Felder but too much money new or 2nd hand. I was thinking more like a Jet etc. Thanks for all the replies.... where's Pinkys number got too hmmm

If you want something that wide and reasonably priced 99% will be 3 phase. If you have a decent power supply you could run one of these of a 3 phase convertor. I have seen some large capacity 3 phase machines make very little on e-bay so even adding the cost of the convertor it may be affordable. The other problem with these older machines is that they often very heavy and moving them becomes a problem.

Jon

Steve Maskery":39m7irbx said:
Dom is right, any 240V machine simply isn't going to have the guts to plane that sort of width. If you need to machine that width you really have to have 415V

HTH
Steve

I beg to differ here, I have a Felder 410mm P/T single phase 4hp and just today we've been planing & thicknessing 395mm wide jointed OAK boards.

ProShop":2taec930 said:
Steve Maskery":2taec930 said:

HTH
Steve

I beg to differ here, I have a Felder 410mm P/T single phase 4hp and just today we've been planing & thicknessing 395mm wide jointed OAK boards.

I bet that's a nice piece of kit :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Matty.

I got a second hand 3 phase Wadkin, then wired it through a digital inverter, which allows me to set up the parameters of the motor, controlling start up & stopping times.
It was a lot cheaper than a new machine.

James B":2sab0scq said:
Matty.

I got a second hand 3 phase Wadkin, then wired it through a digital inverter, which allows me to set up the parameters of the motor, controlling start up & stopping times.
It was a lot cheaper than a new machine.

I've been considering that James. How much was your inverter?

Matty.
£183 from the Harrogate show, The guy did me the 3hp invertor for the price of the 2hp. :D
Haven`t got the Invoice here, but could get you the name of the company tomorrow.

Cheers.

James B":571dl7vj said:
Matty.
£183 from the Harrogate show, The guy did me the 3hp invertor for the price of the 2hp. :D
Haven`t got the Invoice here, but could get you the name of the company tomorrow.

Cheers.

Jeees thats much cheaper than i have seen. Yes pleae find the company name for me. The firm i spoke to where based in Nottingham but quoted about £700 for a 5hp

Latest posts

Back