Somerset Ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaktree11

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I could do with a bit of help with pricing. I have been given the opportunity to buy any amount of these locally grown Ash planks. I made the headboard from the same wood last year and I fell in love with it.
These planks are just over 1” thick, about 14ft long (probably 11ft useable after trimming the ends), 16” at the widest and about 14“ at the narrowest.
it’s rough sawn and air dried.
What do you think would be a fair price for these planks? I have looked around online but it’s a pretty confused story, in the real world what should I pay.
any help appreciated and thanks

john
IMG_2759.jpeg
IMG_2758.jpeg
IMG_2694.jpeg

Have a look at HJ Pugh's recent sale to get an idea of current prices for small lots. Remember that the seller will get 12% less than the hammer price and the buyer has to pay 12% more.
Pugh's have these tools & timber sales frequently and you can look at past results
Use the filter at the bottom of the screen to search for 'ash' sales.
Brian

Have a look at HJ Pugh's recent sale to get an idea of current prices for small lots. Remember that the seller will get 12% less than the hammer price and the buyer has to pay 12% more.
Pugh's have these tools & timber sales frequently and you can look at past results
Use the filter at the bottom of the screen to search for 'ash' sales.
Brian
Thanks Brian, I wasn’t aware of Pughs. I was thinking of about £50 each which doesn’t seem to far from the mark. John

This is a topic that I also get confused about. Around me I see prices in the £30-£45 per cubic foot including vat. What I struggle with is which board dimensions I use, is this the useable timber or the total board, for your boards this could be either:
Generous Pricing : 14' (total length) x1.25" (just over inch thick) x15" (average width) = £54 to £80 per board depending on cuft price
Conservative Pricing : 11' (usable length) x1" (inch thick) x14" (usable width) = £32 to £47 per board depending on cuft price

Your £50 each (just posted) is about in the middle of all of this so perhaps it does not matter, but I'm still interested should the generous or conservative pricing be used! I'd also be on the lookout for carp board full of twist which would only yield much smaller components if thickness is to be retained.

F.

PS: The last sawn board in your post seems to have amazing ripple in it, unless it is just the saw marks, i'd buy it off you at £45/cuft!

Might be worth giving Valley Sawmills a call or look. They are near Frome so not a million miles from you. I get most of my Ash there and it’s all Somerset or Wilts timber, it would give you an idea of prices maybe. Either that or there is interesting timbers up on the Mendips…

I wonder why they were cut so thin? It doesn't take much of a cup to render them virtually useless.
Yes, he has cut a lot this thin which suits me for what I want but it’s all dead straight and slowly dried. I am waiting for him to get to the 2“ ones which are underneath because it’s all being moved next week.

I pay £40 to £45 per cuft. I would expect to pay for the full length unless there was some sort of major defect, average width and 1 " thickness rough sawn.
£50 per board is in the right ball park for them

Air dried isn't really telling how much useable wood you'll end up with. It's Ash so it's for the inside but in its current condition cannot be used inside.

Back