Wickes rant: chipboard full of metal chips!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I've just wrecked an expensive Makita saw blade on this Wickes c**p.

They're evidently using old pallets, etc. to make it from, as it's simply quite implausible there is so much metal in grown-for-crop timber. I'm using boards that were made in 2010/11 (been hanging around for a while) and the largest lump I've dug out so far is about 1/4" long and, oddly, about as wide as a pallet staple. Funny that.

I've no alternative but to keep using them, as they're the only size that will fit through the loft opening. It doesn't alter the fact that Wickes put no warnings on the packs, and since it's pretty much every board I can't believe they don't know about it. The pieces are big enough to do damage, but too small to find with a DIY-type metal detector.

Every time I go to that place I regret it.

E.

PS: what's really annoying is that at one stage in the chipboard process it's chips in water. It would be easy enough then to remove the steel with a magnet. I'm all for recycling, but this this just stupid and avoidable.

Hi, Eric

I have found small bits before and had sparks when cutting chipboard, but nothing as that! What do Wikes say?

Pete

I did think of a Rage blade, but time's too short to go find one. Anyway it would doubtless be a different kerf to the Makita meaning a new rubber strip on the rail and so on.

I had to buy several more packs to finish the job this evening. I just got a shrug from the Wickes staff, with, "Never heard of that before."

I'll stick with the Makita blade (I can hardly make it much worse!), and look for chips in the off-cuts (otherwise destined for the dining-room grate, I think). The blade may be salvageable - I wasn't running it at super-high speed, and may not have chipped a tooth (I can feel it's blunted). We have a good saw doctor down near Temple Meads station. It'll be cheaper than a new blade, but it's annoying nonetheless.

E.

It's called tramp metal (typically staples, nuts and bolts) best to use a second best blade on materials like that.
Bluddy anoying though
Matt

Go back to Wickes and explain it to them again. If you don't get a satisfactory answer/result then simply ask for their head office address. Watch them squirm!

Thanks Bob, I may yet do that.

I've just spent a frustrating 20 minutes in the usual EU labyrinth, trying to find a readable copy of EU 312:2010, which is supposed to be the "standard" for such board.

One notices an interesting thing: whilst the whole EU standards thing has been sold to us as a way of ensuring consumers get product safety and consistency across EU member states, and thus know what they're buying, the standards themselves are not in the public domain (this one costs about £45 from the BSI). So in practice the system doesn't help consumers at all, but just makes life easier for big companies.

In this case I can find the abstract and the structure of the document (it looks like section 14, dealing with "miscellaneous properties" is the only relevant part), but as an ordinary person, I am not allowed to read it without making a large payment.

So I'm simply making an assumption that such board shouldn't contain metal inclusions in large quantities.

Realistically, I can't find out whether I'm being ripped-off or not. I can't ask Trading Standards, without first making a complaint to Wickes, and I can't complain to Wickes without knowing if the metal is permissible or not.

Evidently, the EU fully endorses CTCH #22. I wouldn't be at all surprised however if the standards are silent on the subject. If so, would it be legal for them to include asbestos or lead pellets, I wonder.

I might try the local library in the week. I will save any obviously loaded offcuts, too. I'm not holding my breath about finding the necessary information though.

E.

I thought everyone new chipboard had pieces of metal in it?

I'd next use any decent cutter on the stuff.

I did a weird job on the sawmill a few years back, 'resawing' a kitchen door panel for a chap who couldn't get a flush fit on the front of a dishwasher. Opening up bookmatched chipboard is quite interesting, there was plenty of plastic and some lumps of aluminium in my sample. I've got a photo lurking somewhere.

I wonder if, from a health and safety point of view, there is a case that any chipboard that might contain anything other than wood material should be labelled accordingly and by not doing so, they are breaking some consumer law? ....... Worth a thought maybe?

Bob

Eric The Viking":1mhhp4no said:
I can't ask Trading Standards, without first making a complaint to Wickes, and I can't complain to Wickes without knowing if the metal is permissible or not.

Put in a written complaint to Wickes anyway, and then before they get their response back to you bang in a query to the Trading Standards, you can't loose and you might at least get a 'quote' from the relevant standard so you will know what is, and is NOT allowable, and you'll have saved £45 :lol:

I'd just accept it. You find metal in all chipboard even the likes of Egger though the cheaper stuff does tend to have a bit more. Just don't use your best blade in future.

I'm sure there is a spec somewhere that says it only needs to contain x% of wood and upto y% of other matter.

J

Eric The Viking":1iyh7ke5 said:
I might try the local library in the week. I will save any obviously loaded offcuts, too. I'm not holding my breath about finding the necessary information though.

E.

The Central Library on College Green probably still has a complete set of British Standards on paper (I've used them in the past) but will definitely have a BSI subscription that will let you search for and read standards on a library PC.

You should leave some feedback on their website including the customer service (or lack thereof).

Regards,

David

I have used chipboards from most manufacturers and all have everything from plasic pellets, aluminium chips and waste staples in it. Cheaper grades will be worse than others but just try re-sawing a two foot length to open it up and see whats in. You'll be suprised how much stuff is thrown in.
Jon.

I'm not surprised any more :-(

My main concern was what appeared to be lumps of steel. Surely a magnet ought to deal with those in the manufacturing process? Recycling: good. Damaging tools: bad.

I've mislaid the biggest piece I dug out, whilst I was clearing up after the job. I meant to test it with a magnet. It might have been aluminium, but it felt too heavy for that.

E.

Back