Kity P/T engineering issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Kity 637 which has served me well for many years.
My mate Charlie came over yesterday to plane up a load of recycled pallet wood. Yes, I know. He'd checked it all with a metal detector though, and my blades need changing anyway, so I didn't mind too much.

There is miles of this stuff to do. I taught him how to use the machine, how to read the grain and all that stuff, and after a couple of hours I was happy to leave him to it.

Late in the afternoon he switched the machine off and it wouldn't start again. The back panel was very warm to the touch, so the motor much have been red hot. I thought it might just be a thermal overload and would be OK once it got cooler.

But no, this morning there is just a buzz. So I looked for the capacitor, unbolted it and sure enough it had blown. Cheap and easy to fix, but I'm out of action until Wednesday.

So while we had it in service mode we had a closer look at the mechanical bit. It really is a pile of [expletive deleted] tat. You can't easily get any of the gear train off. There is one reducer wheel that you can get off. It is driven by the cutter block and in turn drives the feed rollers, but that is it. I think I have to remove the rollers to get the main drive wheel off. It's pants.

So in mechanical order we have:

Motor pulley at the bottom, which drives the cutter block via a belt.
The cutter block drives another pulley via a second belt. I've not measured it, but say it is 150mm.
This pulley is aluminium and has a small gear wheel on the side.

This gear engages with a second gear, larger again, about 75mm, to reduce the RPM further. The gear has a sprocket on the side which drives a chain which turns the rollers. It's made of plastic. Plastic, I ask you.

Now then, to my point. This has all been built down to a price, The main drive wheel and this plastic thing do not have bearings. At least, the plastic one doesn't, I can't get the big one off without removing the feed rollers (I can remove the spindle but not the pulley itself), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The result is that the holes have worn so that these two pulleys are no longer perpendicular to the shafts. There is an inordinate amount of play.

I shall ring NMA tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful as Kity have been dead a long time and I regularly get emails from total strangers asking me if I know where they can get Kity spares!

Assuming I draw a blank, what can I do with my existing parts to improve the fit?

Find someone with a myford and drill and bush the gears. The train of reduction gears is pretty typical even if it's Mickey mouse.

These are the offending parts:
geartrain2.jpg

Just for interest (or not, as you deem fit), this is the capacitor:
blown capacitor.jpg

Attachments

• blown capacitor.jpg
    blown capacitor.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 149
  • geartrain2.jpg
    geartrain2.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 148
Sorry Steve, don't think I can help. Here's all that's left
0505ad91a3d83693468bd0393b8780f7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

chain, gear, and belt. Now that something you dont see in the same shot every day.

Probably won't make you feel any better, but the 439 I have is very similar indeed, including the plastic bits. I suspect mine has lasted longer probably only because it can't do the wider stock that yours can. It may well be exactly the same drive components.

Word to the wise: getting the pawls and the anti-kickback bar all back the right way round did me 'ead in. Next time I will take lots of pictures.

The gears might be replaceable with metal ones. There are a few online suppliers. As long as the actual chain drive is OK, the rest ought to be fixable.

Trouble is, I no longer have access to the engineering geniuses I used to work with, so the furriner is no longer possible, but it would be an ideal little job, possibly, for a model engineering society person and well within the capabilities of a ML7 I'd have thought (if it had the milling head accessory). But it won't get done in a rush I fear.

E.

Well I've just spoken to my mate Stuart who has a little lathe and is not afraid to use it. So if I can get the wheel off he will help me to bush it out. The plastic wheel is easy to remove, but I fear I may have to remove the feed rollers to remove the aluminium one. I've never dismantled this machine to that level.
The other thing I'm not sure about is that as we removed the spindle, two washers fell out. But they are stepped, not plain, and I don't know which way they should face. We have just guessed when reassembling...

Kity where taken over by Sheppach and they market the Kity machines as there own, sure you will find the equivalent on their site, with spares availability?

Mike

Eric The Viking":36mnkd22 said:
.... the furriner is no longer possible ....

E.

You have me there Eric, just what, or who is, a 'furriner'. On line dictionarys have been no help at all.

xy

Eric The Viking":voo5nydf said:
"furriner" == "foreigner" - Brummy for little private jobs in the machine shop.

Or at least, 'twas 40 years ago :)

E.

Of course. I got foreigner from dictionarys, but forgot the non-human variety. Slap on forehead. Thanks for bringing me back to the real world.
xy

Back