Why? .......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
..…. do “they” think differently to “us”?

Yeah, I’ve heard about “Women are from Venus and Men are from Mars” and all that old malarkey, but still …..

…. here’s a typical example.

About a couple of weeks ago I’m driving SWMBO in my car (unusual that). We’re looking for some items she needed for a craft project. Quite happily (honest!), I told her that I was quite OK for her to take as long as she needed, and that I thought that she MAY find what she was looking for in either Shop A, or perhaps B or even C, but that I wasn’t sure. If none of those 3 then it would definitely be off to the big city. Also quite OK by me.

We tried both Shops A & B with no luck, but before leaving B I also said thatI’s forgotten, and there was just a slim possibility that the Store X might have what she was looking for. So did she want to try X before we went to C, because X is more or less on the way to C?

No answer from SWMBO apart from a mumbled “maybe” (I think that’s what it was anyway).

So we set off for C, which (of course!) is on the other side of town. On the way to C, by now we’re in a 2 lane road tunnel.

I’m doing exactly 80 Kmph, which is the legal limit –
{mental note to self: Must write an open letter to all car manufacturers – all future models MUST have the instrument binnacle sufficiently offset towards the driver so that the front seat passenger cannot read the speedo, thus saving many fruitless arguments. Important safety measure}.
- but back to my tale of woe.

I’m in the LH (fast) lane of the tunnel (we drive on the wrong side here, don’t forget), I’m right ON the limit remember, and someone’s coming up pretty fast behind me in the RH (exit) lane, when she suddenly says “Well, Store X is pretty much on the way to C, and MAYBE they have got what I need”.

“So do you want to try Store X then?” asks I. “Not sure” she says “They probably wouldn’t have what I need anyway”.

By now the bloke coming up in the turn off lane is more than close inside/behind us, and if we ARE going to X, then we’ll need that turn off lane too – and it it’s certainly not very far ahead now either.

“Is that a Yes or a No then?” asks I. “Uhhhhhhmmmmm” says she.

“Dearest (or words to that effect!), do we turn off now, or not please?" says I. "Why can't you answer with a simple Yes or No?".

“What is this? A court of Law? I’ve already said so!” she replies.

Well I just give up! I floor it, get us into the RH exit lane OK, and without disturbing the silly person behind us (just), and soon we’ve arrive at Store X. She disappears inside, leaving me “parked” outside on a double yellow line.

After at least 25 minutes waiting (‘onest injuns, I timed it, believe me!) she comes out of X clutching a large bag and with a big smile all over her face. NO words at all about me waiting on yellow lines, but she DID say …..

“I was right. They’re really helpful people in there and they had exactly what I needed. Not as expensive as I thought either”.

As they say where I originally come from - “Gordon Bennett! Would you ADAM and EVE it?”

But don’t get me wrong please.

My SWMBO is lovely really - she really is. And she supports me in all this workshopping lark that I get up to (AND she bought me an Excali Scroll saw for my birthday last April, which counts for a lot I can tell you – most expensive single tool I’ve ever had for hobbying).

BUT ….. I really DDDDOOOOO so wish that at least sometimes, “they” could think just a bit more like “us” – especially when it comes to answering questions and making decisions!

Happy Christmas all.

:D

AES":3enf1okz said:
“Is that a Yes or a No then?” asks I. “Uhhhhhhmmmmm” says she.

“Dearest (or words to that effect!), do we turn off now, or not please?" says I. "Why can't you answer with a simple Yes or No?".

My sympathies :).

That part about trying to get a simple yes or no resonates with me - I usually get a 10 minute speech, at the end of which I'm none the wiser as to any decision ](*,)

And why is it when you give a simple one word answer yes or no you get an earful for not helping with the question at hand?

The problem I have with the missus and my mum (and probably others as well!) is that when I "think" I'm asking a perfectly well worded question that requires a simple answer, I get an answer to a completely different question! I have been diagnosed as being on the spectrum, so I may well be imagining it.
Dario

>The problem I have with the missus and my mum (and probably others as well!) is that when I "think" I'm >asking a perfectly well worded question that requires a simple answer, I get an answer to a completely >different question! I have been diagnosed as being on the spectrum, so I may well be imagining it.
>Dario

No, you're NOT imagining it! Go to friends for dinner, ask the hostess "Where did tou buy the meat?", and I guarantee she'll say "Why, what's wrong with it?"

Like politicians, women tend to answer the question that they would have liked to have been asked, or wish not to offend by giving the "wrong" answer.

There is a subtle difference of course - the fairer sex are demonstrating they have far more emotional intelligence, politicians are simply being evasive.

I did a linguistics module at university many years ago. It was probably the most fascinating thing I did there on a 3 year English literature degree. (it's all served me really well in my working life as a hard landscaper, dry stone waller and window cleaner... :| .
I do remember them talking about how at the youngest ages of communication, males and females had markedly different social and verbal reasoning. That only increases as you get older.
Much as my Mrs baffles me with her ability to tell me the finer points of not just her day but the day of every last B*st*rd she works with when my response is 'Man...tired, no want talk, just want food/ cider and sell children for peace and quiet'
And it can wind me up like a good un at the end of a long day, I try to remember the frustration is probably mutual. Sometimes. Sometimes it just makes me irrationally angry.
Least we're still breathing eh!
For now.... :D

Limey Lurker":1rgur427 said:
No, you're NOT imagining it! Go to friends for dinner, ask the hostess "Where did tou buy the meat?", and I guarantee she'll say "Why, what's wrong with it?"

:lol: :lol: Been there as well.

Sunday dinner today I said "the yorkshire puddings are huge", answer "They're always like that" (No they're not :wink: ) so I says the "roasties are really nice with the crispy outsides". - "Not my bloody fault if the potatoes and yorkshires aren't always perfect, too many people cooking at the same time so the oven doesn't get as hot"
:? WTF, can't win. :lol:

Please note.. these are all numbered "1" ON PURPOSE!

1. Men ARE not mind readers.

1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it... down.

1. Sunday sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

1. Shopping is NOT a sport. And no, we are never going to think of it that way.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want. Let us be clear on this one: Subtle hints do not work! Strong hints do not work! Obvious hints do not work! Just say it!

1. Yes and No are perfectly Acceptable answers to almost every question.

1. Come to us with a problem only If you want help solving it. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 Days.

1. If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't Expect us to act like soap opera guys.

1. If you think you're fat, you probably are. Don't ask us.

1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, ]we meant the other one.

1. You can either ask us to do something Or tell us how you want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.

1. Whenever possible, Please say whatever you have to say during commercials.

1. Christopher Columbus didn't need directions and neither do we.

1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not A color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

1. If it itches, it will Be scratched. We do that.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing," We will act like nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.

1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, Expect an answer you don't want to hear.

1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear Is fine...Really.

1. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as baseball, the shotgun formation,hunting,fishing or golf.

1. You have enough clothes.

1. You have too many shoes.

1. I am in shape. Round IS a shape!

1. Thank you for reading this. Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight; but did you know men really don't mind that? It's like camping

I do agree that males and females communicate differently but then there is often an age issue as well. My Mum is in her late 60's and honestly I loose track of what she is saying. She could be trying to say "I went into the theatre box office and bought the tickets" but honestly that would take her 5 minutes to tell me that as it would go off on multiple tangents about where she parked, what the weather was like and that she went past Mrs Smith's on the way. "You remember her, she had the boys, they were a couple of years older than you, Daniel went to Durham and did sociology but he didn't get on with his lecturer and ended up leaving. I think he moved to Swindon after that and ended up with that nice girl from Frobisher gardens, you know the blond girl that was always wearing the flowery dresses" etc etc. I'm sure you get the idea. I love my mum and as her only son I do want to appear interested but I honestly can't cope. I really do lose the will to live. I took her to a Carol service last week. It was about a 30 min journey and she talked the whole way and I barely said a word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is only one man who can get a straight forward clear answer from a woman, and he can only do it the once........

The Vicar
and all he gets is "I do"

Bod

DiscoStu; I have some important news for you.... I'm married to your mother.

I would have told you sooner but I couldn't get a word in. Not just when I'm in the next room, or three rooms away, but even when I'm outside the house and she's inside! Then I'm in trouble for not listening!

Can you come round and take her to another carol service?

Back