why are they called dividers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far as using triangles to divide a line, I certainly don't claim any originality - I learned it in Engineering Drawing lessons at school, and the method probably predates the invention of the ruler!

I do like the Sector though - wonderfully simple. I might just have to make one of those. Thanks, Alf!

There are a couple of old engineering tricks for adjusting firm-joint dividers, which tend to be a bit 'jerky' to adjust by hand pressure on their legs. If you want to close them up a smidgen, hold by one leg and knock the other on the edge of the bench - you get to know how hard to knock your particular pair, but it's usually a harder knock than you might think. If you want to open them up a gnat's, turn them upside down, hold by one leg, and knock the joint on the bench top. Again, how hard depends on the particular joint firmness of your pair. Fitters and turners used to adjust their dividers and callipers to a nicety by this method - adjusting by the odd 'thou' was quite easy with a bit of practice - we don't need that level of precision!

For woodworking, the engineer's type dividers with the slender legs can be quite flexible once they get bigger than about 4" or so. I prefer the older-type chunky ones, often fitted with a wing and lock. If the joint is as firm as it should be, the wing lock isn't really needed, but it is an extra insurance against knocks when it's lying in the bench tool-tray. Axminster do a good new one - bought it off them a couple of months ago, and was impressed. It comes with a pencil holder and a (rather useless) carbide scriber with a plastic stem, but the basic divider is solid and well-made. It's a woodwork only tool, though - the points are not hard enough to last when marking metals. Against that, the modern engineer's sort are hard enough to mark metals happily if you need to, and most new ones have a fine screw adjustment which some people prefer to the knocking method. They all work fine if you use them with suitable care and regard for their limitations.

Cheshirechappie":241g5x2p said:
So far as using triangles to divide a line, I certainly don't claim any originality - I learned it in Engineering Drawing lessons at school, and the method probably predates the invention of the ruler!

I do like the Sector though - wonderfully simple. I might just have to make one of those. Thanks, Alf!

So did I, though it was called 'Technical Drawing', and seemed so obvious that it made me an easy 'O' level. We do seem to be a bit dependent on high tech these days when simple works just as well. But I love the 'simple'. Just like that sector. I had not seen one before, but now I will make one the very next need. Thanks.

I much prefer the divider method for laying out dovetails.

This appears to come from the Barnsley workshop and I learned it from Rob Cosman.

It takes a while to describe but is very quick and simple once you get it.

Described in my third book page 118, it seems a lot less cumbersome than the ruler and parallel lines method. It gives you the position of the sawcuts rather than the centre of the tails.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Are you going to tell us what it is or do we have to buy the ******* book? :lol: :lol:

Pretty clear explanation here, Jacob. Well it makes sense to me, but then I know how it works. Oh well, better than nothing anyway. Until the library opens. :)

Ta Alf that's a very neat divider action! In fact same as Schwarzy describes in the ATC, which I didn't get on first reading.

Thanks Alf, very good. (I don't have the technology or patience for something that long).

NB the saddle dovetail marker seems to outperform all the complex centre based templates.

How on earth did the sloped ruler method come to be in all the textbooks?

David Charlesworth

The 'sloped ruler' method isn't in any woodworking textbook I 've read (mind you, I haven't read them all!). It's just a geometrical method of dividing a length into equal spaces without using arithmetic. The only reason for using a ruler is that it's a stick with convenient divisions on it - you could make your own with a lath and a pair of dividers.

We seem to have got a bit side-tracked into dovetails. The method can be used to equally divide a length for any reason - spacing screw-holes, say, or sawteeth when re-filing a sawplate (as Jacob's original post mentioned). You don't even need to use dividers; a pair of trammels might do for larger jobs like panel spacing, or even a second lath with pencil marks. Come to that, a piece of string with knots.

Thinking about the sawplate example, it might be best to do something like that in two stages. First, divide the whole length of the sawplate into 1" spaces, then subdivide each 1" block into number of teeth required. Stepping out over a hundred tiny divisions over a full sawplate length would be fiddly and probably subject to cumulative errors.

Like lots of practical things, a bit of thinking before starting could eliminate many a slip!

RogerP":15t8eqz1 said:
I've one of these point to point thingies. Very handy at times

I have one of these and binned it first day. I could open one end to 2" whilst the other was still shut.

Nothing equal bout them at all that i could see...

David C":1jc6m2t6 said:
Thanks Alf, very good. (I don't have the technology or patience for something that long).

NB the saddle dovetail marker seems to outperform all the complex centre based templates.

How on earth did the sloped ruler method come to be in all the textbooks?

David Charlesworth
Who needs a DT marker? What's wrong with a sliding bevel?

If a square line is wanted, we have two operations with two tools.

Many bevels are rather large and inconvenient for small work.

A dovetail marker is a lot easier to make than a sliding bevel, I can tell you. I like 'em; puts a gloss of efficiency onto the otherwise plodding nature of my dovetailing. I get there, but it ain't fast. :lol:

Hey, using dividers to acquire a particular dovetail slope ratio. There's another one. I'm starting to think my steel rule could become utterly redundant... :-k

The marker is so slick to use. I find it very odd that the use of dividers and marker could have fallen from favour.

David

David C":3t6fafk7 said:
The marker is so slick to use. I find it very odd that the use of dividers and marker could have fallen from favour.

David
The tradition is largely freehand.
Easy for both layout and cutting when there are just a few, and single kerf, as on drawer sides.
Less easy on bigger items where I guess dividers would certainly be used to pin prick positions, though the cutting itself would be freehand.
So the woodwork circus clowns who do hi-speed freehand DT demos to the sound of Foggy Mountain Breakdown are actually showing something useful for a change!

bugbear":holc409y said:
Cheshirechappie":holc409y said:
The 'sloped ruler' method isn't in any woodworking textbook I 've read

I've read lots - it's quite commonly quoted in some of them,

BugBear

Oh the joys of selective quotes - I did point out that I hadn't read them all!

Cheshirechappie":324rwym0 said:
bugbear":324rwym0 said:
Cheshirechappie":324rwym0 said:
The 'sloped ruler' method isn't in any woodworking textbook I 've read

I've read lots - it's quite commonly quoted in some of them,

BugBear

Oh the joys of selective quotes - I did point out that I hadn't read them all!

But your point stands on its own merits, and remains true!

It's just that I'm a more than avid reader of older references (books, magazines, catalogues etc).

I have by no means read them all, but I've read a lot.

BugBear

BugBear,

Joyce and Wearing come to mind, suggesting that the ruler method was in vogue at Loughborough after the war.

I can't go further back than that.

Have you seen divider method mentioned please?

David

Back