why are some backsaw tapered?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi yall this is my first post, nice forum. I was wondering why are some backsaws tapered? i c no reason for this other than to make an uneven cutting depth.

I'd guess it's something to do with the weight and balance of the saw.

Some use this as a design feature. Christopher Schwarz has an article about that. The idea behind is, that you level the saw looking at the back and so don't overcut the backside of the cerve. (I don't find myself leveling in relation to the spine, but that is probably my bad sawing technique.)

Many saws were straightened by a light hit on the toe of the spine.

Cheers
Pedder

I have the same understanding of it as pedder (I think) it allows you to zoom up to the line whilst observing from the front and gives a greater margin of error at the back so that you can then drop down carefully onto level with the last couple of strokes. Aided by a mirror behind the work if you are that way inclined.

I remain slightly unconvinced of the benefits though, as you can achieve exactly the same end by pointing the tip of a parallel saw up a little bit as you approach the bottom of the cut.

Other possibilities:

Fractionally longer effective stroke?

Reduced tearout?

One more tooth engaged in the timber?

All of which only have the potential to be minute differences which is why I have stuck with the 'helping you not to make a pigs ear of it' explanation.

ye all that is very good and all but man does it leave the saw looking ugly or at the very least raises eyebrow when u first c it.

enterthedragon":387ahzyk said:
ye all that is very good and all but man does it leave the saw looking ugly or at the very least raises eyebrow when u first c it.

don't know. This saw is tapered. 4mm more height at the heal than at the toe....

P1020989.jpg

Cheers
Pedder

pedder":1rqtos3u said:
This saw is tapered. 4mm more height at the heal than at the toe....
Pedder, why? I mean, what does that bring to the user? It's such a very small amount. Would it even have much effect on the tooth rake angle? I'm asking in genuine puzzlement, 'cos I don't get it at all. All it'd do would be to make me want to take a hammer to the back and straighten the darn thing out, and I feel I must be missing something. :-s

Alf":xkw9rg2w said:
Pedder, why? I mean, what does that bring to the user? It's such a very small amount. Would it even have much effect on the tooth rake angle? I'm asking in genuine puzzlement, 'cos I don't get it at all. All it'd do would be to make me want to take a hammer to the back and straighten the darn thing out, and I feel I must be missing something. :-s

Hi Al,

it was the wish of the lady, who owns this saw now. We make bespoke saws individual fitted to the hands and the wishes of the customer.

The idea behind is most probably the idea of cutting less on the backside of the cut. (I already told that I don't use that technique.)

Cheers Pedder

Staightening will destroy the saw, because the blade is glued in the slotted spine. :)

Oh, and thanks guys for the kudos!

Back