whoopsie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymarky

Established Member
Reaction score
just got back from a 8 hour trip from two a&e`s the last at derriford in plymouth as they have a hand & plastic dept. being a clever clogs i`ve managed to put a 1" gouge through my left thumb nail ant the skin underneath. properly annoyed with doing it, always very carefull with machinery but just pushing a gouge through a scrap piece of wood slipped and the rest is history.

got to go back to plymouth tomorrow to go into theater, have the nail removed and skin cut from nail and sewn back onto the thumb.

just a reminder be carefull out there :D

cheers, mark.

thanks everyone for the replies.

studders":1kj8ha6q said:
Well.... at least you know it's sharp

certainly was, the gouges were given to me from a cabinet maker as payment for some turning work undertaken.. never used them before so sharpened them to a inch of their life before use, as a sharp tool is a safe tool, right :?: :)

Ooouuuccchhh!!

Sounds nasty and I hope you have a good op and a speedy recovery.

At least you had the decency not to post a photo of the evidence (as another poster did recently). That would definitely have been "too much information".

Mike.

sparkymarky":2wekp0dy said:
just got back from a 8 hour trip from two a&e`s the last at derriford in plymouth as they have a hand & plastic dept. being a clever clogs i`ve managed to put a 1" gouge through my left thumb nail ant the skin underneath. properly annoyed with doing it, always very carefull with machinery but just pushing a gouge through a scrap piece of wood slipped and the rest is history.

got to go back to plymouth tomorrow to go into theater, have the nail removed and skin cut from nail and sewn back onto the thumb.

just a reminder be carefull out there :D

cheers, mark.

Sounds like you've ripped the nail bed of the thumb along with the nail.

Suspect that's a general with a tourniquet - when they finish and undo the tourniquet and bring you round, give it an hour and then expect your hand to light up like a Xmas tree in terms of the pain receptors. DAMHIKT!

In my case the nurse took the proverbial in bringing the pain killers - when she came back 20mins later, I made it absolutely crystal clear that if the pain killers didn't surface in 60s, I would be forced to physically take the med cabinet keys off her and get the painkillers myself. Got some painkillers 30s later! :mrgreen:

Hope it goes well.

Dibs

back home again, didn`t think it would hurt this much!! i had a local around the base of my thumb (two rounds of it actually the first didn`t quite do the job) they then removed the chunk of skin with the piece of nail on it, removed my nail from my thumb and then grafted the chunk of skin back on, i`ve got some sort of kitchen foil under where my nail went. quite interesting being able to watch being done it first hand (sorry for the pun :D )

thanks for the replies everyone 2 weeks and i should be getting back to normality.

cheers, mark.

Same here glad it all went well, did'nt tey give you any painkillers to take home with you.

Cheers

Dave

Back