Who needs precision, I do!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":nkg3el74 said:
+1 for it not being on a perfectly flat surface.

any tips for creating a temporary flat surface for assembly? - piece of kitchen worktop and a spirit level?!

That would do, yes.
Wardrobes are tricky because they often sit on carpet in a bedroom and floors are not always level, especially in old houses where things have moved a bit.
I've made a number of wardrobes over the years and have always had this problem.My first domestic piece here will be a wardrob eand I shall make a base unit that sits on adjustable feet. Hafele do one that can be adjusted from above through an access hole. That way the plinth can be leveled up in situ, stood on a board, and adjusted even after the doors are hung. It's a system that works well.

I don't see how your cutting can be 4mm out. But the flexibility of an MDF carcase of that size can easily allow it to be 4mm out.

Thanks for the advice, however I doubt it's the surface as I'm assembling it lying flat on it's back on top of my tablesaw and outfeed table so a pretty reliable surface.
Although I must admit having just dismantled it and checked all the individual pieces of the carcass, I'm really struggling to see how the tiny amount out of square would cause the 4mm difference on the overall diagonal dimension.
I'm going to try re-assembling it and see if it gives me any other clues as to what's wrong.

I must admit I'm struggling to understand how you've cut something that accurately but be that far out of square.

How are the bits joined? Dowel? domino? Have the fasteners gone in on the water?

Have you eyed through the face frame and confirmed it is flat? Just because its resting on something I would assume there is no wind.

If you lift one of the corners that is the longer diagonal you will soon lose the 4mm, which is only +2mm and -2mm really.

If the back is square the front must achieve the same squareness unless the sides are a long way out.

I assume you've checked side to side and top to bottom for parallel?

I find this sort of problem solving can be very frustrating, particularly when I've made an oversight of something basic and simple :x

Have you checked that the edge measurements are all correct? I.e. top left to right = bottom left to right and top rear left to right = all the rest, as well as top front to backs = bottom front to backs etc. If they are all correct then it sounds like something is out of square. At this point I'd use pythagoras to find the non square bit. Use the measurement where the shortest length is easily converted to a multiple of three, then the longer bit as a multiple of 4 and the diagonal should be a multiple of 5.

Problem solved, it was a combination of things;
Firstly i've tweaked some of the end cuts on the side panels as a little of the discrepancy was due to that (I think),
Secondly I've removed the Domino's which align the top and base into the sides as it appears the top and base have a very slight bit of twist in them which was pulling things out of square.
That got the whole thing square and then I checked the face frame stiles to find one was circa 1mm longer than the other so I've trimmed the stile so both are the same length.
Just re-measured the diagonals and its damn near bang on plus the joints between the face frame pieces are even and square.
Very stressful but I'm glad I've resolved it relatively quickly, thanks again to everyone for their help and suggestions

Back