Who is in and who is out?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
finneyb":1lrarzd1 said:
Don't forget the current budget for the NHS divided by the population of England equates to £2,000 per head per annum ie assuming your son lives at home with you and is an only child ie there is three of you in the household. Your household is contributing the equivalent of £6,000 one way or another each and every year, regardless of whether you use the NHS that year or not.
This is the sort of misleading statistic that does no one any favours in understanding how the NHS is funded.
It's not a simple charge on each individual, the money comes from overall tax and duty revenues. So someone not paying any income tax will only be making a tiny contribution from the small amounts of tax and duty levied on goods and services they buy. On the other hand a rich tourist from abroad might be contributing much more from their spending in UK on holiday and never benefit from it all. Those people earning large amounts, paying big tax bills and spending a lot in the UK will be contributing very, very much more. Also big businesses contribute from taxes like corporation tax and receive no benefit at all from the NHS.

iNewbie":2l1s0xri said:
Random Orbital Bob":2l1s0xri said:
My son has a bone disease and he's being treated at RNOH Stanmore.

Sorry to hear that, Bob - all the best to him.

Funny Hospital that. The X-ray dept there is on such a gradient its almost scary wheeling someone in a wheelchair. Its something I'll never forget.

You know that's one of the things I love about not just Stanmore, but this country. RNOH Stanmore (for those of you who don't know it) has the very epicentre of the hospital built on a hill, a pretty steep hill too. There's a central corridor that runs right the way down this hill and off that corridor are:

All the operating theatres, X-ray, imagery and scanning. In other words, most of the sharp end of the activity that's carried out diagnostically and in terms of treatment away from the wards. Remember, its the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital...that's bones to you and me. What do you get with bone patients? Crutches and wheelchairs....on a hill....inside the hospital :) It's an absolute classic. Reminds me of a Doctor Who set from the Brigadier Lethbridge Stuart and Jon Pertwee days.

But despite the appalling facilities they have, it's am amazing hospital that performs close to miracle cures on all manner of seriously deformed bone problems...because the people are wonderfully eccentric and just...care. They don't care about shiny, they make do and mend all the time and focus on the patients. It's a truly wonderful place. But if you showed Donald Trump round it, he'd have it condemned in a blink, because it's not shiny! (That may have been slightly unfair but I don't really care)

Indeed. I had cause to take my wife to Stanmore for a serious issue a few years ago. We were shocked at the state of the place, which looked like it was cobbled together from temporary buildings about 50 years ago, but the staff were simply fantastic and very highly skilled.

Random Orbital Bob":285cvy3b said:
As an aside, from recent personal experience with my own family, I think despite the stresses and strains they clearly suffer, they are off the chart superb in my opinion. Wonderful, dedicated, decent human beings that do an amazing job in staggeringly difficult circumstances in many cases (A&E in particular).

+1

Hope your family's health continues to bloom.

Noel":f25dzgfm said:
England is in such a mess.
Half time and one down.

I shouted 'GO ON MY SON' when Iceland scored & the bloke beside me says 'it was actually Sigthorśson that scored"...

:)
Is it the tennis season again? Must get my bat out.

98 bottles of beer on the wall, 98 bottles of beer.
Take one down and pass it around, 97 bottles of beer on the wall.

Jacob":c6dmn2zh said:
clk230":c6dmn2zh said:
He should have had a plan in place he is our countries leader !
He did have a plan; a firm commitment to prompt immediate implementation of Article 50 if the vote was to leave. He changed his mind straightaway. Unbelievably feeble.

I'm not sure he did. If I've come out of this with any respect for anyone it's probably Cameron for calling Boris and Gove's bluff and putting the onus on them to make the next move, when they clearly had no plan and no idea. The issue is that the EU then turned around and called Cameron's bluff to make an example out of us all for putting political bickering before any sensible economic argument.

Cheshirechappie":c6dmn2zh said:
By the way, I'm more Telegraph than Guardian, but I'll read thoughtful analysis wherever it's printed.

Well thank God there's someone still around who's prepared to actually read something instead of just looking at the url and making a snarky comment based on whoever published it.

Random Orbital Bob":2bzgifvb said:
iNewbie":2bzgifvb said:
Random Orbital Bob":2bzgifvb said:
My son has a bone disease and he's being treated at RNOH Stanmore.

Sorry to hear that, Bob - all the best to him.

Funny Hospital that. The X-ray dept there is on such a gradient its almost scary wheeling someone in a wheelchair. Its something I'll never forget.

You know that's one of the things I love about not just Stanmore, but this country. RNOH Stanmore (for those of you who don't know it) has the very epicentre of the hospital built on a hill, a pretty steep hill too. There's a central corridor that runs right the way down this hill and off that corridor are:

All the operating theatres, X-ray, imagery and scanning. In other words, most of the sharp end of the activity that's carried out diagnostically and in terms of treatment away from the wards. Remember, its the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital...that's bones to you and me. What do you get with bone patients? Crutches and wheelchairs....on a hill....inside the hospital :) It's an absolute classic. Reminds me of a Doctor Who set from the Brigadier Lethbridge Stuart and Jon Pertwee days.

But despite the appalling facilities they have, it's am amazing hospital that performs close to miracle cures on all manner of seriously deformed bone problems...because the people are wonderfully eccentric and just...care. They don't care about shiny, they make do and mend all the time and focus on the patients. It's a truly wonderful place. But if you showed Donald Trump round it, he'd have it condemned in a blink, because it's not shiny! (That may have been slightly unfair but I don't really care)

My girlfriend went for an MRI scan, or whichever one creates a huge magnetic field. One of the nurses told her that, when they installed it, someone forgot to realise that the staff bicycle parking was right on the other side of the wall, and they ended up with a few mangled bikes at the end of the first day. Not sure how much scientific sense that makes, but I hope it's true.

What is it with Hospitals and hills? QA in Portsmouth is built on a steep hill (it's all level inside though) and when it snows or gets icy the A&E ambulances can't get to it. I'm a member of Hampshire Police Resilience and when it's bad (generally floods or snow) we get tasked with getting staff and resources where they need to be and that includes towing the ambulances up the hill into A&E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've long thought that HS2 was a project foisted on us by the EU, though I've never found any evidence to back that up. The whole idea of a high-speed line only set up to carry passengers is just ludicrous in economic terms - one thing railways are good at is moving bulk freight, and it's always been where their main revenues originate. I could see no possible way in which a passenger-only high capital cost high-speed railway could be anywhere near profitable, or even cover it's costs. In the UK, there are far better options for increasing rail system capacity at far lower cost, and giving a far more flexible system.

It seems it's now to be delayed, possibly as a first step to canning the whole shebang, which would be wise. Maybe it's the first change in government policy following the Brexit vote - or maybe it's just a pragmatic delay until economic turbulence calms and public finances and more predictable. We will have to wait and see.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... ncial-str/

Cheshirechappie":2oym7osn said:
I've long thought that HS2 was a project foisted on us by the EU, though I've never found any evidence to back that up. .....
Then why think it, still less say it?

Otherwise I agree.

I have read somewhere long ago that the intention was to have fast links between far outposts of the EU, and the intention was to extend it to Scotland. In an age when so much business is done on line and people are people are being encouraged to work from home it always made little sense to me. If it cut an eight hour trip to three or something like that it might have been defensible, but what was it to cut - 20mins or something like that? In any case all it would succeed in doing would be to turn a few more villages and small towns into dormitories for London. It would be obsolete before it was completed anyway. :D

Jacob":2rhtjysb said:
Cheshirechappie":2rhtjysb said:
I've long thought that HS2 was a project foisted on us by the EU, though I've never found any evidence to back that up. .....
Then why think it, still less say it?

Otherwise I agree.

That's a very negative comment, Jacob. Nothing wrong with blue-sky thinking. After all, you are a past master at that.

By raising the idea, CC might find that someone else has had similar thoughts and actually found some evidence.

Apart from that, I agree !

A quick Google came up with this http://andrewchapman.org.uk/archive/AHC ... -02-15.pdf and seems to give some credibility to what Phil P posted and also CC.

And another one here that seems to confirm the EU's involvement - if tangential. http://www.theeuroprobe.org/2015-088-hs ... t-our-gov/

Osbourne has announced that taxes will go up.

Not sure if it's genuine, his way of saying "look what Boris and his mates made me do", or a way to raise public support for more negotiations.

BearTricks":3fem3jd8 said:
Osbourne has announced that taxes will go up.

Not sure if it's genuine, his way of saying "look what Boris and his mates made me do", or a way to raise public support for more negotiations.
Fair point or sour grapes from Osborne - "It was not the responsibility of those who wanted to remain in the EU to explain what plan we would follow if we voted to quit the EU."

GDP was not recovering as well as his projections in any case and is taking a big setback as a result of the vote. So the govt either has to allow for fiscal expansion (not a popular option within the Tory party, although that doesn't mean it doesnt happen, or something has to give in tax or spending. This may not be helped by S&P's predictable downgrade, although flight to quality in the markets is helping counteract that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back