Which would you buy - XCalibur or Record Power?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK here are some pics fresh off the camera, hope they make things clear. You might struggle with the saw flat against a wall as the motor protrudes as in the pics

Tablesawsize.jpg

DSC_5162.jpg

DSC_5163.jpg

DSC_5164.jpg

Blimey Gareth, thank you so much! I didn't mean you to go to so much trouble, dragging it out of your garage etc! :)

Much appreciated.

I definitely see what you mean about the overhang at the back... I must go and check my garage in the morning to see if it fits or not.

That Incra Mitre 2000 (?) looks mighty fine on there though! The Incra stuff is the main reason I'm such a stickler for the standard mitre gauge slot....

Again, thank you very much for the excellent photos and help.

That's perhaps the only thing about that saw that might put me off. However, I've never heard anything negative comments t'ward the motor being hung out the back. His Norminess recommends this style saw in one of his shows.

mrwilby":37e6kmvq said:
Blimey Gareth, thank you so much! I didn't mean you to go to so much trouble, dragging it out of your garage etc! :)

Much appreciated.

You are most welcome, glad to be of assistance.

Yes the Incra stuff is fantastic and makes a huge difference to accurate cross cutting.

Good luck with your deciding.

This is the back of mine with a plywood back painted silver as the back comes open.

s9ilver.JPG

Dust collection has certainly improved with it, Blade tilts to the right and the sliding table was a extra.

If your a stickler for the standard mitre gauge slot....
well this goes well with it,and the reason why the throat insert plate was changed.

0.jpg

Trunion.

IMG_Trunion.jpg

Cheers

mrwilby - did you look at buying in Sweden ?
Perhaps there's an Xcaliber dealer there that can offer cheaper shipping than from the UK.
Just a thought, don't know where in Finland you're located - border or a large patch of water between you and them !

Hi Krysstel.

Unfortunately, Roy @ Woodford is the only importer in Europe (at least this was the case the last time I contacted him about a year ago).

It's pretty odd that this XCalibur saw is the only 'small' induction saw I've been able to find (with a standard mitre slot). There ought to be more choice (you'd think)...

Tony":2sv32pk1 said:
Hi

I looked at Xcalibre and was not impressed with their cheaper saws.

I bought this one and a year later am more pleased than when i bought it

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14575&highlight=tablesaw

and you will struggle to find where it is not as good as the Xcalibre (I have played with the big Xcalibre too)

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your input. I didn't realised the bigger Axy had a standard mitre gauge slot... it looks comparable with the Deft T30. I suppose I should really contact Axminster and get a corresponding shipping quote so that I have something to compare to the Lyndhurst shipping (Saw's are approximately the same price). I definitely would have to detach the sliding table though and I decided that I don't really need a sliding table in any case as I have a good festool set up for panel work. The table dimensions are pretty good on the APT though (~80cm deep).

Thanks to SawdustP and Gareth again for taking so many photos and being such gents. They really help to get a great feel for the construction of the machine.

Thanks to Gareth's sketch-up skills, I reckon if I subtract a bit of depth (for the mitre fence protrusion at the front), then the XCalibur takes up about ~110cm (sticking out from a wall).

The deft has a 50cm footprint, but with the overhangs it adds up to about ~90cm.

The Deft is wider (150cm vs XCaliber ~130cm) although in my situation it's the depth that counts.

As mentioned above, the APT has an 80cm deep table (~110cm wide if I understood the APT specs, although that probably exludes the fence rail overhang).

I'm still liking the Deft the best I think. I just need to convince myself I really need something this big and powerful.

mrwilby":mjts6zna said:
and you will struggle to find where it is not as good as the Xcalibre (I have played with the big Xcalibre too)

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your input. I didn't realised the bigger Axy had a standard mitre gauge slot... it looks comparable with the Deft T30. I suppose I should really contact Axminster and get a corresponding shipping quote so that I have something to compare to the Lyndhurst shipping (Saw's are approximately the same price). I definitely would have to detach the sliding table though and I decided that I don't really need a sliding table in any case as I have a good festool set up for panel work. The table dimensions are pretty good on the APT though (~80cm deep).[/quote]

mrwilby

I sold the sliding table for £150 :lol: and then bought the Osborne mitre guide which is incredibly accurate and repeatable.

If you are local to me (the midlands) you are welcome to come and have a look/play

Latest posts

Back