Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Which shortlisted model should I buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

SSJS

Reaction score
Hi All – I've recently discovered this forum, such a wealth of knowledge!

I am in a dilemma... I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first table saw for my woodworking projects, such as my own kitchen (!), TV stand, storage space, etc. I have a small workshop at the back of my garden in London, with the following dimensions: 3.5m x 2.9m, so not ample of space. Mobility is not as important as cutting accuracy and motor power, however it shouldn't take too much space.

Based on a number of videos and online reviews, I've shortlisted the following models:

- Makita MLT100X or 2704 (ripping 8x4s is a nice-to-have )
- Bosch GTS 10 XC
- Axminster Craft AC216TS (although it 'feels' too big for the space available...)
- DeWalt DW745

Happy to buy a more 'portable' saw and upgrade the gauge mitre if this is going to make a huge change in the accuracy of the cut as well... Also I watched quite a few videos from Germany that favour the Bosch 10 XC, with quite a few expandable tables for routers.

What are your thoughts?

Sideways

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks like you might be working with sheet materials. In that case, a decent tracksaw might do a better job than a small tablesaw. A festool TS55, a Makita or Bosch don't cost any more than a small TS but are well suited to built in furniture projects and won't take up as much space when packed away.
Watch a few of Peter Millard's 10 minute workshop videos ...

Marineboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Given the kind of work you appear to undertaking and the space you have to do it in, a track saw will suit you much better. Building a kitchen involves mostly sheet cutting which a track saw will do quickly and accurately. With the associated vacuum you can use it in the house where necessary with virtually no dust.

Jonathan S

Established Member
Reaction score
+ 1 for a track saw in your situation....I would not want to ever cut an 8x4 on a small table saw....to dangerous and no accuracy.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Fully agree with the above for big sheets. But if youre after a good table saw to cut stuff accurately and quickly on sheets 4 ft or less, and especially any hardwoods, Then I can fully recommend the dewalt 745 as I have that . =D> =D>

SSJS

Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses. I am not inspired to get a track saw (Peter Mallard's videos/tutorials are amazing). In case I need a table saw for future use, for example: I want to shave off a few mm from a 2m pole and I don't see how I could do that with a track saw. Of course, on a table saw, with the help of a 2nd person, it seems feasible. Any cheap and good-enough table saws that you could recommend?

Woody2Shoes

Impressive Member
Reaction score
SSJS":34lq572p said:
Thanks all for your responses. I am not inspired to get a track saw (Peter Mallard's videos/tutorials are amazing). In case I need a table saw for future use, for example: I want to shave off a few mm from a 2m pole and I don't see how I could do that with a track saw. Of course, on a table saw, with the help of a 2nd person, it seems feasible. Any cheap and good-enough table saws that you could recommend?
I realize I'm not answering your question, but a handsaw would be just great for taking a few mm off a 2m pole.

I've done a fair bit of woodworking over many years (from making 48ft long green oak structures, to making small trinket boxes) without a table saw and personally, I wouldn't bother spending the money on one. I generally use a circular saw (with guide rail, if I want to simulate a track saw) or a disposable hardpoint saw - I also have a bandsaw, which I find invaluable. I can see that a tracksaw would be useful for repetitive precision cutting of sheet materials with a nice clean, chip-free, edge.

If I had a rush of blood to the head, the cheapest TS I'd bother with buying would be the DeWalt DW745.

Cheers, W2S

mynamehere

not in my shed
Reaction score
+1 for the Dewalt 745, cracking piece of kit for a "site saw"!

Cheers!

Ferenc

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
all you old time woodworkers :shock: who can slice a few mm of a long plank with a handsaw, get my ultimate respect =D> =D>
but newbies (like me) and newbies who have arthritic hands (like me) would find it easier to become the worlds strongest man. :roll:

If you dont know how to, or cant, use a handsaw, then a tablesaw is the answer. I have just used my 745 to cut up a 2 metre long x 50 mm thick plank of bubinga into several pieces. Aint many woods that are tougher than that, and i think even Arnie would struggle to do that with a handsaw, in a working day. 8) 8)

Woody2Shoes

Impressive Member
Reaction score
sunnybob":2yyt4l9m said:
all you old time woodworkers :shock: who can slice a few mm of a long plank with a handsaw, get my ultimate respect =D> =D>
but newbies (like me) and newbies who have arthritic hands (like me) would find it easier to become the worlds strongest man. :roll:

If you dont know how to, or cant, use a handsaw, then a tablesaw is the answer. I have just used my 745 to cut up a 2 metre long x 50 mm thick plank of bubinga into several pieces. Aint many woods that are tougher than that, and i think even Arnie would struggle to do that with a handsaw, in a working day. 8) 8)
Sorry - I'm afraid I read the OP as a few mm off the pointy end of a 2m pole (!) Taking a couple of mm off along the long dimension would be a job for a hand plane or a powered planer (or a bandsaw - or a circular saw, or a track saw with a bit of forethought - or, yes a table saw - a handsaw would be perfectly do-able but hard work).
Cheers, W2S