Which wood rasp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rxh":ixspo31g said:
The new Corradi rasps have been given good reviews. They are not hand stitched but have a sort of "swirly" tooth pattern which is said to be effective for avoiding grooves or ruts in the workpiece.

http://www.corradishop.com/

I have some of the old style Corradi rasps. They are aggressive and long lasting but need to be handled with some care to avoid the grooving effect.

Thanks RXH another option.... It seems that many of the good rasps come without handles. I normally buy in the part of the market where handles are supplied, fitted. Where would I get handles, and how do I fit them? Do I need to buy tools to fit the handles?

rxh":rp5apikg said:
The new Corradi rasps have been given good reviews. They are not hand stitched but have a sort of "swirly" tooth pattern which is said to be effective for avoiding grooves or ruts in the workpiece.

http://www.corradishop.com/

I have some of the old style Corradi rasps. They are aggressive and long lasting but need to be handled with some care to avoid the grooving effect.
This thread has been crying out for a mention of the Corradi rasps.

I was just about to start a thread about them. They're in many ways the ideal rasp since they give the same sort of cutting performance that hand-stitched rasps are noted for but without the steep pricetag. And they supposedly last a lot longer than Aurios, which are known to be a bit soft generally and the occasional one isn't properly hardened.

DrPhill":2n7bhz3x said:
Where would I get handles, and how do I fit them? Do I need to buy tools to fit the handles?
You can buy file handles from a number of vendors but you can easily make your own if you fancy, nearly any wood will do including 'junk' woods that many wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

And even with weaker woods like this surprisingly you don't need to fit a ferrule for the handle to stand up to regular use.

The Corradi shop has handles. Python file handles are also good (stocked by Tilgear).

Received the microplane rasp and given a quick try. It works quite well even though it feels insubstantial. It may not be coarse enough to remove large amounts -slightly coarser than my turnip file, and slightly rougher finish. I can see it being useful, but I still need a coaser rasp.

Racers":32y0e1sd said:
I have some of the Dick tools ones that work well and don't cost much.
They look interesting - where from? (I do not want to for 'dick tools', no knowing where that will take me)

ED65":32y0e1sd said:
You can buy file handles from a number of vendors but you can easily make your own if you fancy, nearly any wood will do including 'junk' woods that many wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

And even with weaker woods like this surprisingly you don't need to fit a ferrule for the handle to stand up to regular use.
Do they just 'hammer' on?

I was given an excellent tip by a very top end furniture maker, get one of the big rasps that farriers use for horses hooves, they're cheap, decent quality, and for coarse, quick stock removal they get the job done.

Hi, just seen this.
Something to consider if not too late are carvers riffler files which are made specifically for concave / convex srfaces, usually double ended don't need handles and can also be bought as flat files. I have a number of differib
Ng grades.
You can pay a lot for good ones though do come up s/ h but if only for light use you can buy cheap sets, look on ebay and sometimes even lidl or aldi

Bob

DrPhill":4g9s2wp9 said:
Do they just 'hammer' on?
The pre-drilled ones can be bashed on, you're not supposed to but it works. The standard advice to firmly seat a file or raps though is to tap the bottom of the handle smartly on the bench.

For homemade handles you have the option to burn the tangs in after drilling a starter hole, which if it goes well gives a glove-like fit that's very secure. It is difficult to get this to work perfectly every time so there's often a bit of play but that's no problem, you can glue the handle on in many ways.

This is the farrier's rasp I use for rough wood shaping.

Mercury-Rasp-01.jpg

Mercury-Rasp-02.jpg

It's a quality German tool that works a treat. There's two sides, a rough side and a really rough side. At about £15 it's a bargain. It's got a hefty flat at one end for a secure two handed grip, essential for serious wood removal. This one has been in use for five or six years, and it's stood up well in a full time workshop.

You have to make your own handle, but for a woodworker that's a non issue.

You can get them lots of places, here's just one,

http://www.blfarriersupplies.co.uk/merc ... -1856.html

Incidentally, I use a few of the expensive hand stitched rasps too, but I generally save those for the finer shaping work where you might see some benefit.

Attachments

• Mercury-Rasp-01.jpg
    Mercury-Rasp-01.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 641
  • Mercury-Rasp-02.jpg
    Mercury-Rasp-02.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 641
This one on eBay looks interesting.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-4in1-4-Way ... 2763.l2649

Pete

Racers":m9dlwybw said:
Pete

Good find - At that price it has got to be worth a punt...... though it might need a cloth wrapped round to protect my puddies. A half-round turnip was on my list anyway.

DrPhill":3kn8hanu said:
Racers":3kn8hanu said:
Pete

Good find - At that price it has got to be worth a punt...... though it might need a cloth wrapped round to protect my puddies. A half-round turnip was on my list anyway.

I have 2 identical to that, keep one in carving box and othe for general rough work worth every penny.

sunnybob":32c1ulon said:
Would you buy a used car from a man who wears braces like that? (lol)

What an odd thing to say.... and no I wouldn't. But I would be very happy to have him build me a house, he's a lot better at that than selling cars. He might have been a bit "bodgeit and scarper" on Groundforce, but time wasn't on his side.

However his series on building a small house utilising "green" elements was good and showed his depth of skill and pride in his work, and he clearly values that.

custard":32c1ulon said:
I was given an excellent tip by a very top end furniture maker, get one of the big rasps that farriers use for horses hooves, they're cheap, decent quality, and for coarse, quick stock removal they get the job done.

My two rasps are farriers rasps, and they definitely get it done in a hurry, but are also quite wide compared to woodworking ones I've seen.

DrPhill":2t7hxj6a said:
Racers":2t7hxj6a said:
Pete

I offered a fiver and they accepted it!

Pete

If you can wait 2 or 3 weeks for delivery, the same tool is £2.80, search for "4 in 1 rasp file" then select "lowest price + pp".

Latest posts

Back