Which wood rasp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of ideas there, thanks, Bugbear, Andy, NazNomad

The cheapskate in me likes the idea of making a sanding-mop...

Looking at some of the quality planes as a birthday pressie. (later this month hint hint)

Why are there are always more tools to buy/make?

The stick has been mostly roughed out:
comparison.small.png

Attachments

• comparison.small.png
    comparison.small.png
    246.9 KB · Views: 580
Nicely done. That was quite a lot of material to remove!

ED65":2op45d8v said:
Nicely done. That was quite a lot of material to remove!

Thank you, and some more to remove before before smoothing. Then I can get on with the bas-relief carving.......

That's almost a 'Harry Lauder'. Great stuff.
I have not quite got my head around bas-relief, perhaps I should just dive in and get on with some. Please show us some images of the completed stick.
xy

Thank you, though I do not get the 'Harry Lauder' - maybe I am thick?

Bas relief is when you flatten perspective to make a sculpture/carving protrude less. This is a start.

I do not think that still pictures will do the finished result justice - the carving will be 'wrapped around' too small a diameter cylinder.
For example, I made a whistle box and carved it. The diameter is twice that of the stick and the images of the carving do not come out clearly.:

reduced3.JPG

reduced1.JPG

reduced2.JPG

Attachments

• reduced3.JPG
    reduced3.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 527
  • reduced1.JPG
    reduced1.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 527
  • reduced2.JPG
    reduced2.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 527
Ah.... I see. Obviously missed a bit of my education. Thank you for that. My project is the twistiest so far, but not yet those levels (yet).

Thanks Naz, you saved me looking for a similar picture. If I recall Harry Lauder was a scots music hall performer who was best known for 'over the top' almost spoofs of scottish songs.

Thanks for the link to bas-relief Phill. One of these days, one of these days.
xy

xy mosian":3jda1ie4 said:
Thanks for the link to bas-relief Phill. One of these days, one of these days.
xy

A pleasure, although I only found out recently what the technique was called. A lot of what I do is not really 'bas-relief' as I do not generally carve gradations as perspective. Mostly I just remove 'ground' to leave 'relief'. I have never had formal training - just doing it for fun. Give it a try on an off cut - you will soon know if it is the sort of thing that you like doing.

harvestbarn":3uk3r1hx said:
I often find a Black and Decker Power File very useful but you have to be careful not to cut too much!
ks

Thanks HarvestBarn - I had never heard of those. They look like a useful tool for the 'hogging' stage (and for many other jobs).

The Portuguese manufacturer are http://www.tome-feteira.pt When I bought new rasps about 2 years ago all in for 3 each of round, cabinet and flat in cuts 1 2 3 (Rough Medium Smooth) cost £42 incl postage from the factory in Marinha Grande. Although not hand cut I have found them to be excellent. For those who sharpen their own saws, their saw files are pretty darn good too as long as you don't drag the file back while in the cut as this tends to chip the arris teeth.
Just about to order a slection of their machinist files for metal work i have to do

DrPhill,
I have just finished having a much closer look at your Boxes in general and your Whistle boxes in particular. All are very nice. I especially like the Ropework? detail across the lid closing on Jan's box.
It is too easy to rely on the beauty of material in finish of a wooden piece. True wood can be beautiful in its grain, but often some added decoration adds a little something extra, showing the artisans heart. The care, and time, you must have taken to add this extra show a genuine warmth.
xy

Another +1 for the B&D powerfile. Used one on a rocking horse build when my nerve failed with the Arbortech! I THINK Lidl have had a similar beast on special offer occasionally, but the B&D wasn't too expensive 15 years ago!

The new Corradi rasps have been given good reviews. They are not hand stitched but have a sort of "swirly" tooth pattern which is said to be effective for avoiding grooves or ruts in the workpiece.

http://www.corradishop.com/

I have some of the old style Corradi rasps. They are aggressive and long lasting but need to be handled with some care to avoid the grooving effect.

xy mosian":1g7demkw said:
DrPhill,
I have just finished having a much closer look at your Boxes in general and your Whistle boxes in particular. All are very nice. I especially like the Ropework? detail across the lid closing on Jan's box.
It is too easy to rely on the beauty of material in finish of a wooden piece. True wood can be beautiful in its grain, but often some added decoration adds a little something extra, showing the artisans heart. The care, and time, you must have taken to add this extra show a genuine warmth.
xy

Thank you for your kind words XY. Jan is very special to me and she deserves my best efforts. That box stretched my skills further than I had thought possible. Odd that the timber was salvaged from a set of shelves and so the box cost nothing but time.
The ropework and the simple regular twist was generated by a computer program that I wrote for the purpose - it is still on Sourceforge somewhere. Altogether I was working on the box over an eighteen month period on and off. No workshop, so all routing was done outside on a workmate.
My best work so far - I am still proud of it.

Back