Quantcast

Which wheels for a center steady ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
Which wheels have those of you who have made your own used ? I've seen videos where skate wheels have been used and also bearings on their own.
What are your experiences ?

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
My initial thought was that Marcos, but four wheels carry a man's weight, and the two wheels at the bottom on a centre would have nothing like half that load, or is it the speed that puts you off ?

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Reaction score
it was lurker's typo which suggested that the slip was being rolled around on them.

I looked at making a steady myself, and inline skate wheels look to be the thing to use. I dont think that they will be heavily loaded, and if the bearings need replacing in time it doesn't look like a difficult task to do.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I wrote “on”.
But they were “in”.
It wasn’t a typo, just me being linguistically lazy.

Yojevol

Wooden tit be nice... ♪♪♪♪♪♪
Reaction score
I rescued 2 sets of roller blade wheels many years ago and they've been lying in my Will-be -useful-one-day box ever since. I found a use for one so there are 15 left in 2 designs:-
hCbckXYA.jpeg
They are 2.5"dia and 1" wide. They can be held in a chuck if required for clean up or modification. I modified the one that I have used to put a V groove in so that it now acts as a cable pulley. Any takers?
Brian

Attachments

merlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Rowing boat sliding seat wheels.

I used the decent bearing type, they have a hard plastic tyre so keeps the marking down to a minimum.

Merlin

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I made my own up to keep them small diameter.

1. Small bearings (same as bandsaw guides)
2. Tyre turned from Old Kitchen Chopping Board and grooved to take:-
3. 'O'Ring

Attachments

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a use for one of your 15 wheels.

Put tight fitting metal bar through, tap end of bar into a drilled hole in a handl-y piece of wood.

Cut circle of ply or mdf same diameter as the wheel and glue to the outer face covering hole and wheel. Glue velcro to circle of ply.

= Free spinning bowl sander.

I've made one from an old castor, works pretty well. Wish I'd thought of skate or skateboard wheels, sure I've got some. I cut my own abrasive discs from some electric sander sheets.

Yojevol

Wooden tit be nice... ♪♪♪♪♪♪
Reaction score
I never realised I needed a free spinning bowl sander

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
A huge thank you to Brian, (Yojevol) for the wheels which arrived today. It's people like Brian that make this forum what it is.
Hope I can return the favour sometime, or else show the same generosity to another member

Latest posts