Which vacuum cleaner for extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary_S

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Having cut some chipboard last weekend and suffocated in spite of mask, I have decided dust extraction is probably worthwhile :idea:

I have seen some Henry type vacuums hooked up but want to know if I need to be aware of restrictions/inadequacies etc. As always, advice gratefully received.

Gary

It's all very well buying and hooking up dust extraction systems, but if the tool you are using has poor collection characteristics, then the best system in the world isn't good enough.

Just something to keep in mind.

You need to balance the extractor to the tools. So if you have a saw bench you need something capable of large volumes. If you cut the chipboard with a hand held circular saw then a Henry might be suitable. However you also need to look at its classification some will collect medium dust from chipboard but not the really fine harmful dust. In my view there is little point only getting a machine that will collect medium dust but not the fine dust once you know it is the fine dust that could ultimately kill you.

PAC1":37vi0qg6 said:
In my view there is little point only getting a machine that will collect medium dust but not the fine dust once you know it is the fine dust that could ultimately kill you.
When worrying about dust and chippings there are two concerns, one is respiratory protection, the other is simple house keeping. Dust and chippings spread over a workshop, not only look messy, but can be a slip hazard and, more hazardously, a fire hazard.
So even if the first issue isn't properly addressed, the house keeping issue also is important. Better to stop one hazard than none.

Gary_S":6jjrbre7 said:
Having cut some chipboard last weekend and suffocated in spite of mask, I have decided dust extraction is probably worthwhile :idea:

I have seen some Henry type vacuums hooked up but want to know if I need to be aware of restrictions/inadequacies etc. As always, advice gratefully received.

Gary

I think you need to look and see if the cleaner has a filter and what sort it is. I think you need a HEPA filter attached after the bag to stop the very fine dust getting through. See if Numatic supply these for your Henry. Failing that get a Festool Extractor. Portable extractors are very handy, particularly if you're out and about butchering wood (or wood like materials). If in a fixed shed or something and doing a lot of work something bigger and fixed may be the best option.

I believe Nilfisk can supply HEPA filters for some of their Wet/Dry vacs if fine dust is a problem.

I bought a Nilfisk wet and dry machine for dust extraction. Not only very useful about the house, it has a power take off and power triggering - plug your vacuum in, plug the machine into the vacuum and the vacuum turns on and off with the saw.

Surprisingly, the little nilfisk manages to catch most of the sawdust from my big bandsaw as well.

I got bored of buying new bags all the time, so I cut one open and sealed the end with a length of Ali strip and some office clips - this means you can take the clips off and empty the bag before reusing it.

However, I've since bought a cyclone kit which screws into the top of a blue waterproof 50 litre screw top barrel, which cuts emptying of the vacuum by about 75%.

Yes, I've got a Nilfisk Aero 26-21 I got from Screwfix when it was on offer. Nice machine and the bags are quite cheap at Screwfix and seem to last ages. The blow function has come in handy as well. The self cleaning button is a novelty that actually seems to work as well!

SCGwhite,

I like the idea of fitting a Nilfisk Aero 26 on top of a 50 litre barrel! Is this what you were suggesting in your post.

I haven't found a Nilfisk (?) cyclone kit by searching online. Can you help?

Thanks

ATBB":2qjtftwu said:
SCGwhite,

I like the idea of fitting a Nilfisk Aero 26 on top of a 50 litre barrel! Is this what you were suggesting in your post.

I haven't found a Nilfisk (?) cyclone kit by searching online. Can you help?

Thanks

He was talking about a separate cyclonic separator, which separates the air from the chippings/dust. The cyclone sits on top of the barrel and the chippings/dust go into the barrel leaving relatively clean air to go into the vacuum cleaner. The vacs filters don't get clogged and hence it doesn't lose suction. Search for Dust Deputy or Dust Mite or Dust Commander. This is on my TODO list for 2015

I'm using the Titan 16L jobbie from Screwfix (its cheaper on ebay etc). Works really well with my TS55 and Clarke router, plus does well clearing up the crud when using an SDS breaker.

Gary

I think the most versatile vacuum for a workshop is something like this.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... -extractor

Ideally get one of the more expensive model if budget allows.

I have a Scheppach version of this that does a pretty good job and can be used with all tools with the right hose / adapter. Something like this:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/numatic-2-9m ... ckage-deal

I use this with my bandsaw / table saw / planer/thicknesser at 100mm.

It's handy to have another vac for your hand power tools - I used a Festool Midi which is very good.

As Artie mentioned - it does depend on tool. With the Festool tools I have and the Midi I get almost no dust.

Cheers

Gidon

Back